An unofficial Fedora Installer for Pinebook Pro
I made an installer script for Fedora on Pinebook Pro. For now I am using Manjaro kernel. I have done a lot of testing, but comment, issues and PRs are welcome.

https://github.com/bengtfredh/pinebook-p...taller.git
Thanks for the script. I just used it to set up my pbp cause there is no official release till now. Running smooth, only the sound is horrible. Is there a patch missing to fix the sound issue?
(10-15-2020, 12:02 PM)stoelpi Wrote: Thanks for the script. I just used it to set up my pbp cause there is no official release till now. Running smooth, only the sound is horrible. Is there a patch missing to fix the sound issue?

I am happy you like it. The sound is horrible, to be honest I have not looked in to it. I am working on a copr repo to make the image more fedorish. But check out this thread https://github.com/smithmcgriff/Fedora-o...o/issues/7. Try what @westurner writes in first post.
(10-16-2020, 12:31 PM)aptupdate Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 12:02 PM)stoelpi Wrote: Thanks for the script. I just used it to set up my pbp cause there is no official release till now. Running smooth, only the sound is horrible. Is there a patch missing to fix the sound issue?

I am happy you like it. The sound is horrible, to be honest I have not looked in to it. I am working on a copr repo to make the image more fedorish. But check out this thread https://github.com/smithmcgriff/Fedora-o...o/issues/7. Try what @westurner writes in first post.

Thanks, with alsamixer I could adjust the sound. Do you know more about upcoming official support of the pbp, I didn’t find any definite statements?
(10-18-2020, 05:44 AM)stoelpi Wrote: Do you know more about upcoming official support of the pbp, I didn’t find any definite statements?

Official support is coming soon in Fedora 33, according to the fine folks from #fedora-arm@freenode.net .
(10-29-2020, 06:06 AM)Rathann Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 05:44 AM)stoelpi Wrote: Do you know more about upcoming official support of the pbp, I didn’t find any definite statements?

Official support is coming soon in Fedora 33, according to the fine folks from #fedora-arm@freenode.net .

Yes I also read this on the arm mailing list. Looking forward on it!

Awesome :-)
(11-04-2020, 08:27 PM)tllim Wrote:

I did use the script to install fedora on an SD card. On my emmc I am running the original fedora 32 gnome image updated to 33 but still running the 5.7 kernel. Initially I tried to install fedora 33 with the install script but that failed (seem like this might be fixed) so installed fedora 32 and updated to 33 and installed the pbp-kernel (5.9.8).

wds@pinebookpro01 ~$ uname -a
Linux pinebookpro01 5.9.8-1 #1 SMP Tue Nov 17 14:41:35 UTC 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Still need to run through a bunch of test especially suspend which I do not believes works.
This is what I have installed from the copr:

wds@pinebookpro01 ~$ dnf repository-packages copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro list
Fedora Modular 33 - aarch64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                          78 kB/s |  14 kB    00:00   
Fedora 33 - aarch64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                  86 kB/s |  13 kB    00:00   
Fedora 33 - aarch64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                721 kB/s | 1.4 MB    00:01   
Installed Packages
ap6256-firmware.aarch64                                                                          2020.02-5.fc33                                                                        @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
kernel-pbp.aarch64                                                                                5.9.8-1.fc33                                                                          @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
kernel-pbp-core.aarch64                                                                          5.9.8-1.fc33                                                                          @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
kernel-pbp-modules.aarch64                                                                        5.9.8-1.fc33                                                                          @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pbp-keyboard-hwdb.aarch64                                                                        20200629-1.fc33                                                                      @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-audio.aarch64                                                                        2-1.fc33                                                                              @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-network.aarch64                                                                      1-1.fc33                                                                              @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-suspend.aarch64                                                                      2-4.fc33                                                                              @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
Available Packages
ap6256-firmware.src                                                                              2020.02-5.fc33                                                                        copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
kernel-pbp.src                                                                                    5.9.8-1.fc33                                                                          copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
linux-manjaro.aarch64                                                                            5.9.6-1.fc33                                                                          copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
linux-manjaro.src                                                                                5.9.6-1.fc33                                                                          copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pbp-keyboard-hwdb.src                                                                            20200629-1.fc33                                                                      copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-audio.src                                                                            2-1.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-extlinux.aarch64                                                                      1-1.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-extlinux.src                                                                          1-1.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-network.src                                                                          1-1.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-suspend.src                                                                          2-4.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
uboot-pinebookpro.aarch64                                                                        2020.10-1.fc33                                                                        copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
uboot-pinebookpro.src                                                                            2020.10-1.fc33                                                                        copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
wds@pinebookpro01 ~$
(11-21-2020, 08:46 AM)immbelgique@007 Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 08:27 PM)tllim Wrote:

I did use the script to install fedora on an SD card. On my emmc I am running the original fedora 32 gnome image updated to 33 but still running the 5.7 kernel. Initially I tried to install fedora 33 with the install script but that failed (seem like this might be fixed) so installed fedora 32 and updated to 33 and installed the pbp-kernel (5.9.8).

wds@pinebookpro01 ~$ uname -a
Linux pinebookpro01 5.9.8-1 #1 SMP Tue Nov 17 14:41:35 UTC 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Still need to run through a bunch of test especially suspend which I do not believes works.
This is what I have installed from the copr:

wds@pinebookpro01 ~$ dnf repository-packages copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro list
Fedora Modular 33 - aarch64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                          78 kB/s |  14 kB    00:00   
Fedora 33 - aarch64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                  86 kB/s |  13 kB    00:00   
Fedora 33 - aarch64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                721 kB/s | 1.4 MB    00:01   
Installed Packages
ap6256-firmware.aarch64                                                                          2020.02-5.fc33                                                                        @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
kernel-pbp.aarch64                                                                                5.9.8-1.fc33                                                                          @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
kernel-pbp-core.aarch64                                                                          5.9.8-1.fc33                                                                          @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
kernel-pbp-modules.aarch64                                                                        5.9.8-1.fc33                                                                          @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pbp-keyboard-hwdb.aarch64                                                                        20200629-1.fc33                                                                      @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-audio.aarch64                                                                        2-1.fc33                                                                              @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-network.aarch64                                                                      1-1.fc33                                                                              @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-suspend.aarch64                                                                      2-4.fc33                                                                              @copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
Available Packages
ap6256-firmware.src                                                                              2020.02-5.fc33                                                                        copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
kernel-pbp.src                                                                                    5.9.8-1.fc33                                                                          copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
linux-manjaro.aarch64                                                                            5.9.6-1.fc33                                                                          copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
linux-manjaro.src                                                                                5.9.6-1.fc33                                                                          copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pbp-keyboard-hwdb.src                                                                            20200629-1.fc33                                                                      copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-audio.src                                                                            2-1.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-extlinux.aarch64                                                                      1-1.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-extlinux.src                                                                          1-1.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-network.src                                                                          1-1.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
pinebookpro-suspend.src                                                                          2-4.fc33                                                                              copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
uboot-pinebookpro.aarch64                                                                        2020.10-1.fc33                                                                        copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
uboot-pinebookpro.src                                                                            2020.10-1.fc33                                                                        copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:aptupdate:pinebook-pro
wds@pinebookpro01 ~$

Hi there,
I've installed Fedora with this howto (https://github.com/bengtfredh/pinebook-p...taller.git) on a 16GB SD-Card. I've also a fedora installation on the EMMC (https://builds.armdevelopers.com/pineboo...pro.img.xz). The Pinebook-Pro always boot from EMMC, I think the SD-card-Image isn't working on my laptop.
If I update my working EMMC-Image with kernel-pbp.aarch64, laptop is booting fine, but I have to leave the original (5.7) kernel. Otherwise the laptop can't boot anymore.
@aptupdate: How can I get a working Fedora from your howto?

Thanks
Andreas
(07-25-2020, 12:41 PM)aptupdate Wrote: I made an installer script for Fedora on Pinebook Pro. For now I am using Manjaro kernel. I have done a lot of testing, but comment, issues and PRs are welcome.

https://github.com/bengtfredh/pinebook-p...taller.git
Hello aptupdate

thank you very much for these prebuild images https://s3.fredhs.net/minio/pinebook-pro-image/

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Now I'm in the process to rebuild my Pinebook Pro with your image !

Next week I take your image and try to modify it for booting my Helios64 NAS-Device (it's based on the same processor and network card).

Thanks
Andreas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 436 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Fedora 37 installation gswatkins 16 5,509 03-16-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,108 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,910 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,978 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,559 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 989 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 365 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,013 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,918 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80