"spine-less" tab as phone dock?
Since the phone and tablet have the same processor, could you remove the motherboard from the tab and just use the phone with the tab screen & keyboard? Keep the battery, and maybe some storage in the tab, but main storage and processor runs in phone... The biggest challenge would be a clean interface (i.e. not just the phone laying on the desk with a cable) that was upgradable. (Maybe a clip-on mount) That way when the next gen phone is released you could still use the tab.

I've been wanting something like this for years, but every option has been poorly executed.
(07-24-2020, 09:16 AM)Tenaja Wrote: Since the phone and tablet have the same processor, could you remove the motherboard from the tab and just use the phone with the tab screen & keyboard? Keep the battery, and maybe some storage in the tab, but main storage and processor runs in phone... The biggest challenge would be a clean interface (i.e. not just the phone laying on the desk with a cable) that was upgradable. (Maybe a clip-on mount) That way when the next gen phone is released you could still use the tab.

I've been wanting something like this for years, but every option has been poorly executed.

I'm not super familiar with the pinephone hardware but if it supports USB gadget mode you could plug it in to the pinetab's USB port and use scripts to automatically set up a network connection between the two devices and launch a VNC server/client. You might be able to make a custom hardware module for the pinetab that, combined with a custom backplate, allows there to be a USB C connector on the back of the device that the phone could plug into.
Why do you need to do that when the Pinetab has the option of cellular connectivity? Don't think it would be hard to turn it into a 10" phone. I have a 10" HP Touchpad that I use as a Voip phone. It even does videocalls.