Lapdocks
I saw a very similar post when searching here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7879

Anyway I'm glad others had the same idea that I did.  I had the Moto Atrix 4G.  It was my first smartphone back when I had AT$T.  A week after I got it a way to get root was released, about a week after that the first custom ROMs showed up (as limited as they were since they were still based on Motorola's.)  Sadly any development died for the device after a few years.  Eventually I got a lapdock but found it a bit annoying to use (still neat though).  Was much easier for me to plug it into the TV directly and then use a keyboard.

Wanted to add that it'd be neat if the phone was used as the touchpad itself though, and second information display for whatever.  Obviously the phone connections couldn't change much so they'd still fit in nicely when newer models of phone are released.  Though just connecting it form the side with a USB-C cable would probably be better (and might even work with other phone manufacturers as well!)

Also maybe have an option for newer PineBooks to switch from the internal board to use an external phone or other device via a USB-C cable sorta like the photo in OP.

Alternatively (and this is WAY off) maybe a HMD.  Even non VR would be good.  I'm just not a huge fan of the laptop form factor anymore having the input that close to the output.  Much more ergonomic to use an external screen at eye level.  Maybe something like the Avgant Glyph (but better since it flopped, I think poor design and too many compromises killed that.  I had one and sold it to a friend.  Still love the idea of it though.)

I also had a similar idea for a car's head-unit infotainment thing.  Would be cool to just have one device that could interface with everything.
imho it's not a good idea. what at first glance seems to be an expression of modularity actually goes to create a whole group of hardware that you can throw in the block as soon as the device on which everything depends is missing.
Let's try to analyze the concept even if it is very fine.
If I make the frame of a laptop that can both accommodate a replaceable motherboard (for example the boards of pine6) and at the same time function as a phone dock "overloading" its usb ports, at the end I have a modular thing that in the face of the same cost (space and resources consumed) adapts to more situations.
If instead I make a frame that for whatever reason adapts and works only in the presence of a specific device, I have created e-waste.
Ok, asus does this because it aims to sell more things that otherwise you wouldn't buy and moreover it makes them happy if you are forced to throw them away soon so you have to buy more, but we who are pine64 customers are lucky to receive truly modular devices, that is easily repairable without involving non-standard components in addiction that cannot be reused in other context and that are there only to make us believe that they are modular but instead that these are exclusive parts (did someone pronounce fairphone?).
(08-06-2021, 06:23 PM)vinnie Wrote: If I make the frame of a laptop that can both accommodate a replaceable motherboard (for example the boards of pine6) and at the same time function as a phone dock "overloading" its usb ports, at the end I have a modular thing that in the face of the same cost (space and resources consumed) adapts to more situations.
If instead I make a frame that for whatever reason adapts and works only in the presence of a specific device, I have created e-waste.

So you are suggesting not making a dedicated lapdock, but 'just' adding alternate mode usb c input capability to the next pinebook/pinetab so they can function as a lapdock?

If this development is achieved with limited added cost it could be integrated in all similar devices, without the risk involved in launching a special device. What's there not to like? (Probably all of the development work :p )

Would the new Pine SOCs (Quartz64...) be able to e.g. connect all in-/output devices (screen, keyboard, ...) through a USB interface to make this work (swapping to an external usb host like Pinephone)? Does the concept have a lot of technical drawbacks / side effects regarding power consumption / performance / cost / component compatibility...?

Regarding putting a magnet in the screens top bezel to attach a phone: maybe it would make more sense to have some ferromagnetic metal in the top bezel and removably attach a flat magnet on the outside in between the bezel and the ferromagnetic plate glued to the phone's back.

Edit: EOMA 68 make a laptop shell that can accept either one of their open source computer cards (SBCs) or their Pass-through card, which makes it into a lapdock.

Edit: The Lenovo Yoga Pad 13 has entered the market as the first mainstream tablet with HDMI input (that I know of). It can be used as a portable monitor through its micro HDMI port. It has a built-in hinged metal stand. Maybe a similar stand could be used with attachment points in it for VESA, a keyboard,...

Also, Nexdock has released the portable monitor NexPad & the NexMonitor, incorporating magnets to attach a smartphone or laptop.

Still, there seems to be no portable monitor running Linux (or any other desktop OS). And the Yoga Pad 13 is in the 600 price range, so expensive as a small monitor. So I guess there's a market for a portable monitor with a light Linux computer inside. (I'd use it for coding/office/media playing on the go and as a 2nd/3rd display at home.)