sudden ethernet failure
That dad-gummed lazy sysadmin (me) had not updated any software, kernel or otherwise, in weeks. (at time of failure)

auto-update disabled and no manual update for nearly a month
After the last manual update did you restart the systems could there have been a delayed effect?

Otherwise it seems like a case of the X Files.
(08-31-2020, 08:36 AM)lot378 Wrote: After the last manual update did you restart the systems could there have been a delayed effect?

Probably yes because that's my normal routine: update repos, upgrade software, reboot, restart tasks no already started by init

Quote:Otherwise it seems like a case of the X Files.

Seems to be X Files. I have thought about seeking RMA, but they are way out of warranty.

I'm fairly certain I will replace them. I just haven't decided between a fully-stocked clusterboard or a stack of AndroidTV boxes. Price::performance leads toward AndroidTV boxes, but total expected lifetime cost (including electricity) tips toward clusterboard. Tough choice.
A software update shouldn't fry the Ethernet adapters should it?

I'd try another OS to see what happens. NetBSD is very low-level; in my biased opinion, I'd say it's very suited to this.
(08-31-2020, 01:59 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: A software update shouldn't fry the Ethernet adapters should it?

I'd try another OS to see what happens.  NetBSD is very low-level; in my biased opinion, I'd say it's very suited to this.

Scroll back through the thread. You will find where I specifically mention that software had not been updated for weeks prior to failure, and literally no OS image (able to boot on the 512MB cards; including netbsd) linked from the wiki page is able to detect the ethernet hardware.
I'm seeing the same issue now with my Pine64 that I dug out of a closet. It had Armbian 16.04 running on it and network working as usual. After upgrading to latest Armbian Focal eth0 is gone and I get the same reported dmesg message.
(10-29-2021, 12:53 AM)antonagestam Wrote: I'm seeing the same issue now with my Pine64 that I dug out of a closet. It had Armbian 16.04 running on it and network working as usual. After upgrading to latest Armbian Focal eth0 is gone and I get the same reported dmesg message.

Same issue for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disappearing Ethernet port goathunter 3 5,614 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM
Last Post: goathunter