NVME problems
Well, I took my Intel 660p to my brother's house and put it in his windows box and it was working, firmware updated, and showing nothing wrong.  When I dropped it back in my Pinebook Pro...nothing.  So I decided to investigate some and completely took out the main board of the PBP.  After reassembling I booted and the NMVe was there!  Drove back home and the NVMe is no longer listed as a drive.  Any idea what's going on?  So, I now know, it's not the NVME's fault.  I guess next I buy a new adapter or cable?  If that doesn't work, then what?  Main board?   Confused

I've got an UART adapter on the way, so maybe I can tell what's up in the boot sequence.  I get the impression that something is not initializing correctly.  The last major change I made was to go to PCM720's spiflash.bin on the spi to try to get boot happening directly from the NVMe.  After all this I'm considering going to U-Boot on EMMC and system on NVME. 

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.  Thanks!

-Josh
It's probably the power coming from the board wasn't adequate. I've heard on this forum somewhere that the next version of the PBP will have a power lead straight from the battery.
the intel 660p shouldn't be drawing too much power, it is one of the lower draw PS0 options at 3.5w max.

reseat the ribbon cable.
(07-14-2020, 11:13 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: the intel 660p shouldn't be drawing too much power, it is one of the lower draw PS0 options at 3.5w max.

reseat the ribbon cable.
I have tried reseating the ribbon multiple times. Should I purchase a new adapter kit to replace the ribbon and adapter?

(07-14-2020, 09:28 PM)Samurai_Crow Wrote: It's probably the power coming from the board wasn't adequate.  I've heard on this forum somewhere that the next version of the PBP will have a power lead straight from the battery.
Nvme was functioning properly (for almost a year) prior to the problem. Issue started when I started booting from nvme after completing spiflash. Furthermore, nvme is not found when booting from eMMC or SD.

Another piece to the puzzle, boot time is MUCH slower with nvme installed.
Update: I tried cleaning the cable with rubbing alcohol, cleaning the board connectors with air, and reseating the cable. Still not working. I'm looking forward to getting my UART cable in so I can see if there's error messages there.
Ok...well...apparently the NVME is seen by the system in some sort of capacity.  After reading this thread :https://github.com/clearlinux/distribution/issues/392 I tried lspci -nn and got this readout:

Code:
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation SSD 660P Series (rev 03)

So!  The board does know that the drive is there, but somehow can't be bothered to wake it?
what does lsblk say? what is on the drive?
(07-15-2020, 02:08 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: what does lsblk say? what is on the drive?
There is currently nothing on the drive.  I reformatted it on another machine last night when testing it.  Output of lsblk:

Code:
mmcblk2      179:0    0  58.2G  0 disk
├─mmcblk2p1  179:1    0 213.6M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk2p2  179:2    0    58G  0 part /
mmcblk2boot0 179:32   0     4M  1 disk
mmcblk2boot1 179:64   0     4M  1 disk
zram0        252:0    0   5.6G  0 disk [SWAP]
I’ve the same issue with the Intel 660p. Was using it as my root partition for ca. 1 month without issues. It was still working yesterday evening before I shut it down (suspend is not working with a nvme installed), and after restart this afternoon the OS didn’t came up. So I took a last known working version from microSD and it booted very slowly. At the end it shows me that the nvme isn’t mounted, so I checked dmesg and found this:

Code:
nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting initialization, CSTS=0x0
nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19

It is also responsible for the long boot time (there is a 30sec delay before those lines are listed).

I already opened the case and checked the cable and nvme connection in the adapter. I also reflashed the latest u-boot to both spi and eMMC, but it shows no success.

Any idea what might be the cause for this problem?
(08-17-2020, 11:29 AM)appelgriebsch Wrote: I’ve the same issue with the Intel 660p. Was using it as my root partition for ca. 1 month without issues. It was still working yesterday evening before I shut it down (suspend is not working with a nvme installed), and after restart this afternoon the OS didn’t came up. So I took a last known working version from microSD and it booted very slowly. At the end it shows me that the nvme isn’t mounted, so I checked dmesg and found this:

Code:
nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting initialization, CSTS=0x0
nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19

It is also responsible for the long boot time (there is a 30sec delay before those lines are listed).

I already opened the case and checked the cable and nvme connection in the adapter. I also reflashed the latest u-boot to both spi and eMMC, but it shows no success.

Any idea what might be the cause for this problem?
I do not know what causes this problem, but I know how to get out of it...or at least what works for me.  I do not remember where I got the SPI flash, but I have one that always wakes the drive up.  I suspect the problem is something with the way that the newer U-Boot loads the 660P that makes it get to an un-reachable state, but I can't figure out what causes it to be un-reachable  Maybe something to do with APST? Like I said, I don't really know.  The way I get out of it is boot to the SD card and flash one of the SPI flash's that preceeded the main-line U-Boot SPI flash.  PM me and I can get the file to you.

-Josh

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Selling my Pinebook Pro with a bootable NVMe WD SSD drive pinemouth 0 705 09-27-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pinemouth
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 751 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  I'm booting from NVME but I want to switch back to eMMC acruhl 4 1,384 04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: acruhl
  Pine Book Pro Charging Problems balin 7 6,700 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: tomasgreenro
  U-Boot with direct NVMe boot support for eMMC/SPI Flash pcm720 125 212,221 09-27-2022, 07:41 AM
Last Post: olyavi
  Selling Pinebook Pro (ISO) + nvme from Sweden DavidL 5 3,063 06-20-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: DavidL
  For Sale: Pinebook Pro 64gb ANSI with NVMe Adapter Lumat 2 1,990 04-24-2022, 01:42 AM
Last Post: kylexd
  Selling PineBook PRO with ISO Keyboard + NVME firefox-58 27 17,846 04-08-2022, 06:23 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  Pinebook Pro (ANSI) with NVME 1TB (660p) for sale Fish 5 3,932 01-26-2022, 08:49 AM
Last Post: TRS-80