Screws broken off / General comment on inner Life of PB
Hello,

I used my Bosch Bohrschrauber (it means you can drill and put in screws with it. There is no english word for it, I think) to put the screws in my Pinebook Pro.
Despite being set to the lowest setting of resistance it managed to damage three screws. I tried with various methods to get the screws off and now I have three screws
with their heads broken off which are stuck in the body of the Pinebook. Any suggestions how to remove them? 

The Screws, btw, are one off the things which annoy me most about my Pinebook. They are small, there are to many of them and they break off too easily as demonstrated above. This is a computer for people who open it a lot compared to the standard laptop user. I imagine some really solid solution which one could open
without tools and which could be repaired by any village smith. (I thinking of a AK-47 of laptop cases). The case looks really nice, but I would prefer solid to good looking.

Yours sincerely
Stefan
stefan.schumacherHello,

I used my Bosch Bohrschrauber (it means you can drill and put in screws with it. There is no english word for it, I think) to put the screws in my Pinebook Pro.
Despite being set to the lowest setting of resistance it managed to damage three screws. I tried with various methods to get the screws off and now I have three screws
with their heads broken off which are stuck in the body of the Pinebook. Any suggestions how to remove them? 

The Screws, btw, are one off the things which annoy me most about my Pinebook. They are small, there are to many of them and they break off too easily as demonstrated above. This is a computer for people who open it a lot compared to the standard laptop user. I imagine some really solid solution which one could open
without tools and which could be repaired by any village smith. (I thinking of a AK-47 of laptop cases). The case looks really nice, but I would prefer solid to good looking.

Yours sincerely
Stefan

>   Cry    First time I saw this complaint
The word is "Holeshooter". (Most people incorrectly call it a "drill." Some call it "drilldriver" which isn't terrible.) I honestly can't imagine using one for this application. I use a jeweler's screwdriver, and even then, I'm very careful to make sure the threads are properly engaged.

As for removing them, I'd probably heat up the plastic and pull the insert out. But I don't really recommend this. I think that for not much cost you can buy a whole new casework.

Cheers
Matt
Note to anyone else reading this, never use a power driver for the screws on the Pinebook Pro. They are too small, both the phillips head and the diameter of the shaft. It may be annoying to remove or install that many screws but the risk is great for problems.

Use a jeweler screw driver. For installation, make sure the threads are lined up. I tend to insert the screw, then turn it back, (aka counter-clockwise), until I feel / hear the click. Then tighten no more than easy turns between 2 fingers on the jewelers screw driver.

To the original poster, @stefan.schumacher, you may need to buy a replacement keyboard and screw kit.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(07-10-2020, 08:56 AM)Arwen Wrote: Use a jeweler screw driver. For installation, make sure the threads are lined up. I tend to insert the screw, then turn it back, (aka counter-clockwise), until I feel / hear the click. Then tighten no more than easy turns between 2 fingers on the jewelers screw driver.
Not many do the anti-clockwise click to engage the threads totally worth it to avoid cross-threading.

To the OP: you were totally crazy to use a power tool on the screws, asking for trouble. Did not stop after breaking the first one just carried on. Please use a screwdriver instead of power tools next time when you receive your replacement case that you have paid for NB check it comes with screws.
The extra fine threads are very, very easy to cross thread.  !

The last two sets of new tires I purchased,    the person installing the lug nuts.
Put the lug nuts into the socket then pulled the trigger and jammed the lugs on !
  Several lugs had to be removed/cut off, using a Dremel tool as they were stripped in place and could not be removed.

Carefully turning the screws backwards until you feel the thread 'click' then turn the screw forward, as Arwen said is the safest method.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Broken Camera ? angeloweb 2 1,274 11-28-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: angeloweb
  Broken Screen vxzero 0 1,325 08-26-2021, 09:02 PM
Last Post: vxzero
  Pinebook Pro broken eDP connector Ocawesome101 4 6,365 01-16-2021, 11:42 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  PineBook Pro Screws WZ9V 4 5,757 08-15-2020, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WZ9V
  Pinebook Pro Broken Hinge uncmonky 1 3,155 08-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Arwen
  Broken Spacebar on PBP ISO Jeremiah Cornelius 4 4,942 01-29-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Jeremiah Cornelius
  PCIe 4X socket for optional NVMe adapter -retaing clip broken . ndp 9 10,689 12-19-2019, 05:15 AM
Last Post: ndp
Question Screws and standoffs for M.2 adaptor Thra11 2 4,263 07-27-2019, 05:45 PM
Last Post: tllim