4 Questions
1. How do I reset the terminal sudo password. I know how to do change it from the desktop when we set a user password, but not on the phone.

2. I upgraded to developmental, and not my phone app does not work. Does anyone know how to remedy that.

3. I installed a Gmail app and it crashes every single time.

4. Does anyone know how to add a Google Account. When I go to accounts, it just hangs there and never goes anywhere.

Hopefully someone from the forum will be able to help.

Thank you,
1. the terminal sudo password is the same as the user's unlock password. either a 4-digit code, or a password, depending on the setting you chose in security settings.

2. there's a known issue with the phone app where it doesn't send dialpad inputs even though it makes the tone like it does. otherwise it works (at least for me). if it's not working at all, you should send a bug report.

3. most of the web apps in the store seem to be non-functional. the apps that list "App" instead of "Web App" seem to work, and the app that makes web apps also seems to not work.

4. the accounts manager is known to be non-functional. there's a CLI manager that I haven't quite figured out yet. I've managed to create a google account but not been able to give it any credentials. if you want to try your hand at it, it's called account-console
Why are you using google stuff when you got a Linux phone? Linux phones are about privacy
yeah, why use roads when you have a 4x4, just drive through your neighbours yards
(07-10-2020, 03:28 PM)heng Wrote: Why are you using google stuff when you got a Linux phone? Linux phones are about privacy
This kind of attitude is what turns people off of the platform.

There is absolutely a vast improvement to your privacy using Google services on a Linux-based device (that doesn't have play services installed and isn't siphoning your location / all your data constantly) while still using the services that Google provides.

Privacy isn't an all or nothing gambit, and it is reasonable that a user might want to use Gmail or Google Calendar as they provide a free and meaningful service even if they want to support an alternative to Android and iOS for other reasons.

That said, back on topic: The easiest way should be to go to settings > accounts and add your Google account there, but I haven't tested that myself on the latest dev channel so I don't know if it's working. You might find better answers on the UBPorts forum (https://forums.ubports.com). A cursory search seems to imply this has broken a few times in the past, but mostly the instructions ended up being "wait for an update, try again" if you're not interested in running a custom .deb image or some other.
(07-10-2020, 03:28 PM)heng Wrote: Why are you using google stuff when you got a Linux phone? Linux phones are about privacy
There I was thinking it was about freedom, including other people's freedom to make choices I wouldn't.
(07-11-2020, 03:28 PM)wibble Wrote:
There I was thinking it was about freedom, including other people's freedom to make choices I wouldn't.

I appreciate all of the friendly ribbing :-). I have my lone Google Email Account. I have my Linux email account as well. Figured since the add accounts feature was there, I would give it a shot. Yeah....it does not work.

Also, I wanted to ask the forum. Is there a constant upgrade happening ot the phone app? Some days it works and some days it does not. Also, when the phone app works, in 3g I might add, I can text in 4g. The two paths have not been able to be on the same bandwith.

For reference, I am in the US and on T-Mobile. I have been upgrade with the almost daily updates.

Any thoughts from the group?

(07-10-2020, 03:05 PM)hiimtye Wrote: 1. the terminal sudo password is the same as the user's unlock password. either a 4-digit code, or a password, depending on the setting you chose in security settings.

2. there's a known issue with the phone app where it doesn't send dialpad inputs even though it makes the tone like it does. otherwise it works (at least for me). if it's not working at all, you should send a bug report.

3. most of the web apps in the store seem to be non-functional. the apps that list "App" instead of "Web App" seem to work, and the app that makes web apps also seems to not work.

4. the accounts manager is known to be non-functional. there's a CLI manager that I haven't quite figured out yet. I've managed to create a google account but not been able to give it any credentials. if you want to try your hand at it, it's called account-console
How do I send a bug report? From the phone? From the forums?
I would use the issues tracker in the pinephone UBPorts releases page:
https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-por...e/-/issues
(07-12-2020, 12:40 PM)hiimtye Wrote: I would use the issues tracker in the pinephone UBPorts releases page:
https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-por...e/-/issues

I appreciate the information. I went ahead and flashed the phone with Mobian. Out of the box per say, with a fresh install, the Pinephone works very well. Mobian recognized my sim card, 4G for phone and text, and I can actually set up my gmail. I do have my Linux email account, but need to have gmail as well. I hope that Pine comes back with a version with quasi suped-up specs. I would buy it. considerably more. I love the fact these devices are very flexible.

Do you by chance know if there are other, more recent cell phones that would take a version of the many Linux phone OS?

Thanks for your help.
there's the Librem 5 but the price is considerably more.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about Immutable Aspect of UBPorts QazTheWsx 3 4,554 09-09-2020, 05:03 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Questions xinyiman 7 8,464 07-22-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: daniel
  n00b questions - can I add additional repos? how is UT different from a "full" ubuntu arturo2bodegas 6 8,143 07-11-2020, 04:25 PM
Last Post: dawg161
  Roadmap questions from a PinePhone owner 3x5co 1 3,241 06-27-2020, 07:12 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Just got my Pinephone, some questions rb643 0 1,825 06-12-2020, 08:23 AM
Last Post: rb643