Manjaro bootup freezes on logo before Login
I am not very linux savy. I tried to connect a printer but my laptop froze and I had to force shutdown. Now Manjaro wont boot past the initial logo. The mouse cursor shows up but the login screen doesn't and the white manjaro logo remains. Accessing tty to try to update works but nothing changes when I reboot. I use this thing for basic work stuff but now its useless to me becsuse I bought a product I don't know enough about to fix. Any help is much appreciated
Do you have any peripherals plugged in while booting? If so, remove them. If you go to a TTY and type "systemctl restart sddm.service" (sudo may be necessary) can you get to the log in screen?
(07-06-2020, 09:32 AM)tophneal Wrote: Do you have any peripherals plugged in while booting? If so, remove them. If you go to a TTY and type "systemctl restart sddm.service" (sudo may be necessary) can you get to the log in screen?
No peripherals. I will try this as soon as I'm home and report back. Thank you!
I just get a black screen with the mouse cursor when I run <sudo systemctl restart sddm.service>
If you have a vtty, perhaps you could try changing sddm for another,
gdm or lightdm or opendm or a few others. I think, when it works,
is a subtle video change almost impossible to debug
Course I know how to do this with rpm or deb, pacman on the other hand........
(07-06-2020, 09:45 PM)wdt Wrote: If you have a vtty, perhaps you could try changing sddm for another,
gdm or lightdm or opendm or a few others.  I think, when it works,
is a subtle video change almost impossible to debug
Course I know how to do this with rpm or deb, pacman on the  other hand........
Thats my problem too. Was thinking something happened to my video drivers but it seems I don't have mhwd available to repair any drivers or replace them. Manjaro-chroot not available either. Pretty much every fix mentioned in manjaro forums is not something I have on this version of manjaro. Maybe I'm just stupid lol
(07-06-2020, 06:44 PM)LMalilil Wrote: I just get a black screen with the mouse cursor when I run <sudo systemctl restart sddm.service>

You could checking dmesg. Something simple like
Code:
dmesg | grep error

or
Code:
dmesg | grep sddm

to look for issues SDDM may be having when trying to load. If that doesn't yield much, you could also try journalctl.
Code:
journalctl -p3

will show you all the errors you've had. This will be tedious to sift through, but if the problem isn't actually SDDM (and SDDM is just being affected by another issue) this should help see that.
(07-07-2020, 08:23 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 06:44 PM)LMalilil Wrote: I just get a black screen with the mouse cursor when I run <sudo systemctl restart sddm.service>

You could checking dmesg. Something simple like
Code:
dmesg | grep error

or
Code:
dmesg | grep sddm

to look for issues SDDM may be having when trying to load. If that doesn't yield much, you could also try journalctl.
Code:
journalctl -p3

will show you all the errors you've had. This will be tedious to sift through, but if the problem isn't actually SDDM (and SDDM is just being affected by another issue) this should help see that.
Lol well I think I bit off more than I can chew with this laptop. I could run that stuff but I wont know what to do after
Just look for errors and look up the ones you find.
(07-07-2020, 02:41 PM)tophneal Wrote: Just look for errors and look up the ones you find.
Thank you. I've only ever ran Ubuntu 14.04 so it's all still a learning curve

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 260 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,719 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 305 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,073 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,152 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 386 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 859 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,993 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,946 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Manjaro - HIbernate - brcmfmac clk issue pompeyPinePro 1 750 08-18-2023, 02:06 AM
Last Post: juliamenendez