Upgrading eMMC and Installing Majaro XFCD 20.06
Upgrading The eMMC And Installing Manjaro Xfce (or whatever image, I think)

Thanks to many others for bits and pieces, including Syonyk’s how-to at https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10279.

This post is more for the noob, like me. I did not want to use aditional software, like Etcher. Just use what I had.

Part 1 – Setting up the temporary SD card

1. Download compressed image and sha256 files to functioning PBP running from eMMC. Mine was 64Gb.

2. Verify whatever.img.xz file integrity against sha256 file. Note: whatever is place holder for your filename.

Code:
sha256sum -b whatever.img.xz

If OK, proceed. Smile Otherwise, begin Part 1 again Angry .

3. Expand the img.xz file.

Code:
unxz whatever.img.xz

Note: The compressed file will disappear unless you save a copy somewhere else before expanding. This procedure assumes everything is in your Downloads folder as is your terminal. Note: This takes a few minutes on PBP.

4. Write downloaded and checked Manjaro Xfce (or whatever) image to SD card with dd:

WARNING: CHECK WITH LSBLK TO VERIFY AND NOTE WHICH DEVICE IS YOUR SDCARD BEFORE RUNNING "dd" COMMAND TO WRITE YOUR IMAGE TO IT!

In my case, the target SD card was mmcblk1 while running on eMMC. Yours could be different, maybe?

Code:
sudo dd if=whatever.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=4M status=progress

5. Power off and restart Manjaro Xfce from SD card. No need to remove, disable, turn off eMMC. Woohoo! It worked.

Part 2

At this point, the eMMC has been replaced with a new blank part, and the tools put away. Mine is 128Gb. There are other how-tos on that. Very simple. You are powered up now and running on the SD in the Downloads directory. I think it is easiest and safer to download the image files again instead of trying to shuffle things around between the SD and the old eMMC. So here we go again.

1. Download compressed image and sha256 files to your functioning PBP running from SD.

2. Verify whatever.img.xz file integrity against sha256 file. Note: whatever is place holder for your filename.

Code:
sha256sum -b whatever.img.xz

If OK, proceed. Smile Otherwise, begin Part 2 again Angry .

3. Expand the img.xz file.

Code:
unxz whatever.img.xz

Note: The compressed file will disappear unless you save a copy somewhere else before expanding. This procedure assumes everything is in your Downloads folder as is your terminal. Note: This takes a few minutes on PBP.

4. Write downloaded, checked, and expanded Manjaro Xfce (or whatever) image to the new eMMC card with dd:

WARNING: CHECK WITH LSBLK TO VERIFY AND NOTE WHICH DEVICE IS YOUR eMMC BEFORE RUNNING "dd" COMMAND TO WRITE YOUR IMAGE TO IT!

In my case, the eMMC was mmcblk2. Yours could be different, maybe?

Code:
sudo dd if=whatever.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=4M status=progress

5. Turn off PBP, remove SD card and turn PBP on. It should boot from eMMC with Manjaro Xfce (or whatever) installed. Second woohoo! It worked again.

Sleepy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,119 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,917 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 292 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,853 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Blank screen after Armbian 20.04 install to emmc? psychoacoustic 3 3,343 04-01-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Fix for Armbian not booting on PBP from eMMC agreenbhm 7 3,655 04-01-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  My installation guide starting from messed up eMMC Besouro 0 813 12-19-2022, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Besouro
  DiY - Installing Void Linux ARM On The Pinebook Pro vincele 1 1,126 11-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: tllim
  newer ""emmc-installer" images (manjaro xfce) magistral 1 1,037 10-10-2022, 06:22 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  6/22 run of PBPs - is reimaging eMMC with new OS possible still? elitegamercody 29 10,818 10-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Last Post: wdt