Fixing the USB-C problem in software?
This website https://xnux.eu/devices/pine64-pinephone...-pinephone states:
Quote:It's not fixable in SW, other than via a manual selection of power and data roles by the user.

How can I do "a manual selection of power and data roles"? Is there a command or shell script I could use?

I don't know how to solder, so I can't desolder the VCONN switches.
I don't think there is at the moment, and many hubs/peripherals will not handle it correctly even if you do. It's a rather serious hardware defect. If you're super careful, you could probably just get some fine pliers and crunch the two switches off the board. Just be careful not to damage any other adjacent components!
(06-25-2020, 09:02 PM)Subsentient Wrote: I don't think there is at the moment, and many hubs/peripherals will not handle it correctly even if you do. It's a rather serious hardware defect. If you're super careful, you could probably just get some fine pliers and crunch the two switches off the board. Just be careful not to damage any other adjacent components!
ncp334fct2g was mentioned as replacement for one of the switches. but it's being sold in packages of large numbers (strip). how could a hobby electronist get just one unit like that?
Are there alternative switch types that could be used?
Maybe Pine64 could add 1-2 of them in the package if we order some Pinephone accesory?
What makes you say they're only available in large quantities? From a quick check of the usual suspects we have at least:

https://uk.farnell.com/on-semiconductor/...dp/2845244

I guess their various international arms are also selling them in multiples of 5 - that's <£2 plus tax, and a handling fee if your total order is <£20 before tax.

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-S...bpLw%3D%3D

So you can buy them singly if you want to. BTW where are these mentioned as a replacement? EDIT: found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf8OJtjNWUM
(06-28-2020, 12:07 PM)Ppuser77 Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 09:02 PM)Subsentient Wrote: I don't think there is at the moment, and many hubs/peripherals will not handle it correctly even if you do. It's a rather serious hardware defect. If you're super careful, you could probably just get some fine pliers and crunch the two switches off the board. Just be careful not to damage any other adjacent components!
ncp334fct2g was mentioned as replacement for one of the switches. but it's being sold in packages of large numbers (strip). how could a hobby electronist get just one unit like that?
Maybe Pine64 could add 1-2 of them in the package if we order some Pinephone accesory?

No need to buy. Pine Store already purchase some and will provide as free. Arrangement will be post in later stage.
Is there any information available whether there is a new version of the Pinephone where the ubc-c problem is fixed?
The PMOS CE version that is available in the store right now, do have this problem fixed
Great, thanks.
(07-02-2020, 06:49 PM)tllim Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 12:07 PM)Ppuser77 Wrote:

No need to buy. Pine Store already purchase some and will provide as free. Arrangement will be post in later stage.

Good new ! You rock ! Cool
Sorry for bump but we have more information about free replacement for this switch ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  problem with boot evaldas 2 2,226 03-17-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  ATTN MODS: Create 'Genode OS on PinePhone' Sub-Forum under PinePhone Software PineFone 3 2,237 02-11-2023, 06:23 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  [Stupid Question] Where is the phone camera software?! newusername 5 2,861 10-10-2022, 03:58 AM
Last Post: newusername
  Article: NuttX RTOS on PinePhone: Fixing the Interrupts lupyuen 0 955 08-31-2022, 07:58 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Software keyboard question orbital 1 1,153 06-27-2022, 03:18 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Problem Flashing the modem Firmware loreson 0 1,151 12-22-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: loreson
  software thoughts Csanderson0313 5 4,043 10-24-2021, 08:26 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Any progress on fixing incoming SMS? JayByrd 9 12,465 01-20-2021, 10:46 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Power Consumption Monitoring Software? Lousy Fisherman 0 1,744 11-22-2020, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Lousy Fisherman
  OpenBCI brain computer interface software for the PinePhone Peter Gamma 5 6,212 09-12-2020, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma