3500mAh battery seems to have killed modem
Before replacing the battery, internet and texting were working on Verizon's network (I hadn't tried making a call). After the 3500mAh replacement[0] the bottom half of the screen started flickering. I immediately turned the phone off and put the stock battery in, but now I don't seem to have any cellular network access (though the phone can see my SIM card). I've already double checked that it wasn't a result of me accidentally flipping the kill-switches when I did the swap. I recognise that this was the result of me playing with fire to see what would happen, and while I'm open to advice I'm sort of assuming I'll need to wait for more main boards to come available -- replacing the modem specifically is probably above of my level of solder competency. I just wanted to warn anybody googling for pinephone battery upgrade information related to v1.2 CE that my personal experience is 3500mAh kills modems.

[0]: https://www.amazon.com/6-7-8-Battery-Cas...07F7R4HLM/
Very strange. I'll try to get the same battery locally and confirm.
Thank you for reporting either way.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-25-2020, 08:58 AM)forretress Wrote: Before replacing the battery, internet and texting were working on Verizon's network (I hadn't tried making a call). After the 3500mAh replacement[0] the bottom half of the screen started flickering. I immediately turned the phone off and put the stock battery in, but now I don't seem to have any cellular network access (though the phone can see my SIM card). I've already double checked that it wasn't a result of me accidentally flipping the kill-switches when I did the swap. I recognise that this was the result of me playing with fire to see what would happen, and while I'm open to advice I'm sort of assuming I'll need to wait for more main boards to come available -- replacing the modem specifically is probably above of my level of solder competency. I just wanted to warn anybody googling for pinephone battery upgrade information related to v1.2 CE that my personal experience is 3500mAh kills modems.

[0]: https://www.amazon.com/6-7-8-Battery-Cas...07F7R4HLM/

before trying to replace board/modem: are you sure your modem is toast? there seems to be an odd sensitivity. ex: if you use power cord only the phone turns on but modem n wifi do not work (without (original) battery in phone- multiple posts and petsonal exp).

I can't be sure if this relates, but since u switched out original battery i can't help but wonder if ur modem might still work with original battery type/output.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Have you used a meter to check both of the battery voltages ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supported Carrier and Modem Bands NachoMomma 4 1,353 03-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 364 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Battery life improvement freelectro 10 2,943 06-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 14 5,233 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Thumbs Down Battery Issue or Power Management IC? bcoyle 2 1,411 03-20-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: bcoyle
  modem not working michelinux 0 868 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
  modem not detected al_x 3 4,074 02-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: fxc
  firmware udate Quectel EG25-G modem alwi 7 5,103 07-06-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: user641
  Need command to tell what modem firmware I am on. purpletiger 4 2,651 07-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Power supply vs battery albafrati 11 4,325 06-22-2022, 06:04 PM
Last Post: albafrati