About the next ARM-based macbook....
(08-29-2020, 02:44 AM)ratel Wrote: Will it be possible to create some kind of layer to run applications for ARM mac on a pinbook? In that case, we could get a huge amount of new software. I am sure that most mac software will be migrated to the ARM. At the moment, I'm most interested in the Geforce Now app.

Sure that would be possible, but who is going to do it?
It was done for Windows, but it took a long time. https://www.winehq.org/

But since Geforce Now is also available for Android and ChromeOS, that would be way easier.
(08-29-2020, 02:44 AM)ratel Wrote: Will it be possible to create some kind of layer to run applications for ARM mac on a pinbook? In that case, we could get a huge amount of new software. I am sure that most mac software will be migrated to the ARM. At the moment, I'm most interested in the Geforce Now app.

The best possible way is to get MacOS running under virtualization. However, since the Apple SOC has a ton more stuff than just the ARM instruction set processor cores, the rest of them need to be emulated and I'm not convinced that all software will run very fast.
They call it Apple Silicon Macs and not Arm CPU Macs for a reason. The chip contains a lot more than the processing cores.

If we'd just be talking about the instruction set, it would be possible to run Android and iOS apps, too. But I haven't seen that happening.

The graphics will probably be the weakest link anyway, kind of doubtful for any gaming scenario.

We can only hope that the Hackintosh people will try their luck on using the Raspberry Pi or something, but a lot of stuff needs to be emulated anyway which makes it slower still, while the OS is designed to run on the M1 which Apple claims is the 'Fastest Processor in the World' or something.
slyecho Wrote:If we'd just be talking about the instruction set, it would be possible to run Android and iOS apps, too.  But I haven't seen that happening.

My googling says it can run arm linux via virtualisation so anbox may be possible. Waiting for the reviews before making a decision.
> the M1 which Apple claims is the 'Fastest Processor in the World' or something.
While I quite dislike apple (despite owning some)
this is quite true,, passed intel and breathing on AMDs heels (at equal frequencies & core counts)
This week, benchmarks will be out, so it will be more clear just what level they are at
Have you not noticed how dominant A12 is in cell phones?
So, the rest of the arm world has a lot of catching up to do

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linus Torvalds using M2 Macbook Air running Linux orbital 17 7,436 09-09-2022, 03:57 PM
Last Post: orbital
  Arm based Windows VM on PBP? speculatrix 4 3,923 11-30-2020, 04:47 PM
Last Post: wdt