Bricked? Pinebook Pro using Uboot-pbp
Brick 
Hi. I was trying to install Arch Linux ARM on the onboard eMMC from a SD card.
When i came to the part of installing u-boot to the eMMC i used the command:
Code:
dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=64
dd if=/boot/u-boot.itb of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=16384
but then. BAAM... the Pinebook Pro wont start...
the LED light don't turn on, and the device wont start.
have anyone some tips or tricks for this? (i miss my PBP!) Tongue
(06-23-2020, 05:58 AM)hanmorten Wrote: Hi. I was trying to install Arch Linux ARM on the onboard eMMC from a SD card.
When i came to the part of installing u-boot to the eMMC i used the command:
Code:
dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=64
dd if=/boot/u-boot.itb of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=16384
but then. BAAM... the Pinebook Pro wont start...
the LED light dont turn on, and the device want start.
have anyone som tips or triks for this? (i miss my PBP!) Tongue

Was your Arch install from scratch? There's an Arch image that already has uboot included.

What was your battery level at before you shutdown? No signs of life is typically an indication that the battery was drained too far. (Just plug it into the barrel charger overnight.)

Also, your PBP can't brick (yay!) Try grabbing a live boot img and write it to SD. Pop it in and boot it up. If it is a borked uboot, remove the back cover, disable the emmc with the switch, and retry booting your SD.
(06-23-2020, 06:39 AM)tophneal Wrote: Was your Arch install from scratch? There's an Arch image that already has uboot included.

What was your battery level at before you shutdown? No signs of life is typically an indication that the battery was drained too far. (Just plug it into the barrel charger overnight.)

Also, your PBP can't brick (yay!) Try grabbing a live boot img and write it to SD. Pop it in and boot it up. If it is a borked uboot, remove the back cover, disable the emmc with the switch, and retry booting your SD.

Hello, and thanks for the reply.
I used the arch linux ARM for PBP. so then i guess the uboot was in there all along.

I had the charger inn all the time. but i will try to have it plugged inn over night annyway. Smile

YEY. didn't know that it cant brick! Big Grin thanks! have tryed with img in SD, but if the battery is drained, then thats that.
(06-23-2020, 06:57 AM)hanmorten Wrote: Hello, and thanks for the reply.
I used the arch linux ARM for PBP. so then i guess the uboot was in there all along.

I had the charger inn all the time. but i will try to have it plugged inn over night annyway. Smile

YEY. didn't know that it cant brick! Big Grin thanks! have tryed with img in SD, but if the battery is drained, then thats that.

After your battery has charged, and your booted from SD, you can re enable and bind the emmc, so it appears/mounts in your SD boot, then try just writing the Arch img to the emmc and boot. (Be sure to read the wiki for precautions when openning the PBP and the bind commands.) You should be back up and running then!
(06-23-2020, 07:04 AM)tophneal Wrote: After your battery has charged, and your booted from SD, you can re enable and bind the emmc, so it appears/mounts in your SD boot, then try just writing the Arch img to the emmc and boot. (Be sure to read the wiki for precautions when openning the PBP and the bind commands.) You should be back up and running then!
Thanks. i will read the wiki on opening and the bind command. Smile
crashing is learning! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(06-23-2020, 07:14 AM)hanmorten Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 07:04 AM)tophneal Wrote: After your battery has charged, and your booted from SD, you can re enable and bind the emmc, so it appears/mounts in your SD boot, then try just writing the Arch img to the emmc and boot. (Be sure to read the wiki for precautions when openning the PBP and the bind commands.) You should be back up and running then!
Thanks. i will read the wiki on opening and the bind command. Smile
crashing is learning! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I've gotten into this state previously, a serial console would help. For me, I could not boot from the SD card, because the MMC was corrupt. To solve it, you can flip the switch to turn eMMC off, and try to flip it on before the SD card's linux kernel does detection. This will boot from SD and leave the eMMC available to flash.
(06-23-2020, 08:25 PM)65a Wrote: I've gotten into this state previously, a serial console would help. For me, I could not boot from the SD card, because the MMC was corrupt. To solve it, you can flip the switch to turn eMMC off, and try to flip it on before the SD card's linux kernel does detection. This will boot from SD and leave the eMMC available to flash.
Hello. i did read somthing about this yesterday. But didnt know if it was a risky thing to do. dont want to toast it...hehe
do you have any guideline or link for the process? Smile
the charging of battery overnight didnt work, and i think it a corrupt MMC, or data on it!
think this it the next step..
Now i first turned the eMMC switch to off, then pressed the powerbutton without SD card.
No response.
then i pressed in the SD card and pressed the powerbutton. now i got a response in the powerled. first red, then green.
but the screen was blank.
next test turn it on with sd card (Manjaro.img) and a USB (Archiso).
then the PBP recognized the Manjaro, but could not install. (Authentication failure.)
Then removed the usb, and restarted with only SD card, but only powerled. and black screen.

The eMMC switch was off all the time.

do i dare turn on the eMMC switch with the PBP on? :O feels wrong....

Edit: after that, the screen stay black, even if i have SD, USB or both. but only when eMMC is off. The screen did only come to live once.

Attached Files
.jpg   feilmelding PBP.jpg (Size: 177.87 KB / Downloads: 350)
Fixed! Big Grin

First i turned off the eMMC and booted with a SD card with Manjaro.IMG
dit get to install it after about 5 times....
then i shut down again. then turned on the PBP, at the same moment (one second after reboot) i put the switch to ON, on eMMC.
i had to retry and retry meny meny times.

when i finaly after a lot of error messages, got the pbp up and running tryed "lsblk" to check that the eMMC was there, and it was.

downloaded the Manjaro.IMG.ZX and run the command "unxz Manjaro.img.xz to get the Manjaro.img
then i only had to "Sudo dd if=Manjaro.img of=/dev/mmcblk2"

When this was run after a long while. i took a shutdown, and now it woks! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Meny thanks for the help and tips! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,901 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 629 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,218 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt