Libertine / XMir not connecting to Mir
I'm using the recent release 53 and am having trouble getting X windows applications to display.  When I try to run Xmir, it errors saying Failed to Connect to Mir.  I tried variants of DISPLAY=:0, DISPLAY=:1, DISPLAY=:2, and DISPLAY=.  The error is:

Quote:Fatal server error:
(EE) Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file or directory

When I do ps, there appears to be a MirAgent running with a socket in /var/run/user/32011/mir_socket_trusted but passing that for Xmir -mirSocket doesn't help.  I also saw /run/mir_socket in pas but passing that doesn't work either.  Incidentally, neither mir_socket nor mir_socket_trusted  actually exist as files at those paths.

I'm stuck. Is Mir running?  Should Xmir be able to connect to it?  How do we get it working.

Some notes to get to where I am.  On a fresh UBports install of release 53: 

(1) Xmir was failing because it couldn't find libGL. So I added the /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/mesa to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aarch64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf and ran sudo ldconfig.  Then Xmir was able to get beyond the libGL missing error to the error I'm getting now.
(2) libertine via wasn't starting/creating a container from Settings.  So I apt installed lxc lxd and python3-libertine-chroot, and created a container (to create I used the loopback ssh localhost trick).  I was then able to use the Settings interface to install gedit and x11-apps.  But libertine-launch fails, saying Xmir is not running on DISPLAY.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

FYI under Debian phosh and plasma-mobile I was able to run x11 apps just from the terminal, it would be great if something like this were possible from Ubuntu Touch.

Thank you,
Saliency
The Pinephone is using wayland unlike the other UT devices so I think Xmir will never work on it. Xwayland should be the one to use but I don't think it's working as well.
Wayland in UT is pretty new so might be some time before these things work.
(06-21-2020, 12:17 PM)Saliency Wrote: FYI under Debian phosh and plasma-mobile I was able to run x11 apps just from the terminal, it would be great if something like this were possible from Ubuntu Touch.

Uh how?
I have been able to initiate the creation process by using the -t chroot method above, but it keeps failing because the deep sleep function closes the SSH session (and it would disable downloading packages anyway) as soon as the screen turns off.
(06-25-2020, 06:50 PM)Olllsondowlll Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 12:17 PM)Saliency Wrote: FYI under Debian phosh and plasma-mobile I was able to run x11 apps just from the terminal, it would be great if something like this were possible from Ubuntu Touch.

Uh how?

I used pmbootstrap to install phosh. Then after booting up my phone I did sudo apk add xeyes and then was able to launch xeyes. The xeyes showed up right away, and responded by looking where I was tapping around them.

I also did apk add xterm locally and launched it. It appeared on screen. I was even able to ssh -Y to my Linux machine and launch xterm remotely there, and it appeared on my PinePhone after a few seconds. Incredible. 

However in both xterm attempts (local and remote), even though they graphically appeared correctly, I did find that the keyboard didn’t send the correct characters. I got a bunch of punctuation marks when I typed enters, spaces, and backspaces. So maybe some kind of Wayland vs x11 encoding issue?
I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten Libertine to work with X11apps on the PinePhone? If so, are there any tips?

I successfully built the container (using the chroot option) and installed Banshee, Libreoffice, and X11apps (apparently successfully) but clicking on their icons briefly shows a new app open and then returns to the desktop.

Thanks
(06-26-2020, 11:31 PM)hiimtye Wrote: I have been able to initiate the creation process by using the -t chroot method above, but it keeps failing because the deep sleep function closes the SSH session (and it would disable downloading packages anyway) as soon as the screen turns off.

If you keep the phone awake by moving the lock screen with your finger you can get through the creation and install. Kind of a pain, (and not yet useful, as the apps haven't worked for me) but my chroot is ready to go for when we figure out what's going on with Libertine!
(06-27-2020, 12:06 AM)Saliency Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 06:50 PM)Olllsondowlll Wrote:

Uh how?

I used pmbootstrap to install phosh. Then after booting up my phone I did sudo apk add xeyes and then was able to launch xeyes. The xeyes showed up right away, and responded by looking where I was tapping around them.

I also did apk add xterm locally and launched it. It appeared on screen. I was even able to ssh -Y to my Linux machine and launch xterm remotely there, and it appeared on my PinePhone after a few seconds. Incredible. 

However in both xterm attempts (local and remote), even though they graphically appeared correctly, I did find that the keyboard didn’t send the correct characters. I got a bunch of punctuation marks when I typed enters, spaces, and backspaces. So maybe some kind of Wayland vs x11 encoding issue?

Still off topic, but FYI here is a screenshot of running xcalc under phosh which works perfectly.

Attached Files
.jpeg   8840F24A-D7A2-4F65-A137-54A620FBC245.jpeg (Size: 73.88 KB / Downloads: 400)
Just a followup for people looking for convergence right now, I've tried many of the projects (all of which are good in their own ways) and the one that seems farthest along on being both a phone and a regular Linux computer is Fedora. You get a choice on login whether you want to use GNOME shell or phosh. Attached is my Pinephone CE running LibreOffice Writer.

No disrespect to UBPorts, which seems to have the best "phone" ecosystem. 

Attached Files
.jpg   pinephone1.jpg (Size: 113.63 KB / Downloads: 392)
.jpg   pinephone2.jpg (Size: 177.31 KB / Downloads: 387)
(06-27-2020, 12:06 AM)Saliency Wrote: [quote='Olllsondowlll' pid='70073' dateline='1593132633']
[quote='Saliency' pid='69523' dateline='1592763468']

I'm curious. Where was xeyes able to follow you. I'd assume only inside the xeyes window. I would expect that Wayland prohibits it to know where you point if your not pointing at itself

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Libertine? Zweitaktmotor 12 17,604 08-05-2020, 12:57 PM
Last Post: linmob
  Pinephone UBPorts not connecting to computer badisautumnum 14 18,921 07-22-2020, 01:25 PM
Last Post: natasha