Any other ham radio folks here? - started a repeater app.
Greetings all,

I was excited to see another Linux-based phone (I preordered the Librem awhile ago), and I'm wondering how many other amateur radio folks are out there - what software do you use for Linux handhelds?

In prepping for using a Linux phone I set up an app similar to RepeaterBook - but with an open source application!

If you are interested in building native Linux apps like this with GTK+Python3, I have a 7 part blog posting series on how I built it here. Including making an app more responsive on smaller screens.
wa9sdj here!
'nuther ham here. Can't code my way out of a wet paper bag, though glad to beta test stuff if you need it.
(06-25-2020, 07:44 AM)Athansor Wrote: 'nuther ham here. Can't code my way out of a wet paper bag, though glad to beta test stuff if you need it.

Absolutely - That RepeaterSTART should be all working but if you see any issues or suggestions I would be glad to hear it. Smile
Does this actually work on (shortwave) radio bands,    or just forward to a repeater (source) ?

I really miss my old 'operator assisted' radio phone.

I could be 'out of range' of the repeaters,  but still reach fellow users in an emergency.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(06-25-2020, 01:30 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Does this actually work on shortwave radio bands,    or just forward to a repeater (source) ?

I really miss my old 'operator assisted' radio phone.

I could be 'out of range' of the repeaters,  but still reach fellow users in an emergency.

I don't know what you mean about shortwave. You mean have a band plan within the app? That might be a good idea to put in a screen in the app. If there are no repeaters at all neaby, list National call (146.52, 52.525? and others listed here? https://www.dxing.com/scanfreq.htm)

What is operator assisted radio phone?
Perhaps I should have left shortwave out of that description. ?

The "operator assisted radio phone" was available long before the cell phones were available.

Like a high performance VHF/UHF walkie talkie, but it stayed silent until you broke the squelch, or the "operator" transmitted your code.
Then you would hear all the traffic on your channel.

Not very private, you could hear and talk to other users.

A inbound caller would call the operator,  then give the operator your 4 digit number and the operator would call you inputting your personal code,
that would break the squelch on your 'phone' and you would then hear the operator.  next the operator would put the incoming call to your radio phone and
You could then talk to your caller. 

A single repeater tower would typically cover a 50+ mile radius, a few "long distance towers" could cover 250-300 mile radius, line of sight.
(Most cell phone towers are very short range)
BUT in an emergency, you might connect with another 'user' when you could not reach a tower.

This was a subscription service,  about $30 USD monthly in the 1980's
In the 1990's verizon bought our local service and turned it off without any notice. !

Their cell phone service only worked in the heart of the city.
Lots of early cell phone users got bills for many thousands of dollars every month.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Sounds interesting. Kind of like the idea of Hearham.live in that it buzzes you if someone tries to call you on the radio... except that no one has set up a channel to recognize those yet. The radio listen client is just too hard to set up I suppose. https://github.com/programmin1/hearham-uploader
I have had issues with it recognizing radio talking because of noise, anyway. Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting started for developers lagrang3 5 1,438 07-16-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Hey Phosh Folks !! Chief 4 1,936 09-06-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  FM Radio oxoocoffee 9 10,890 04-07-2021, 12:00 PM
Last Post: drpi
Photo Getting started with Mobian...stuck LG123 5 5,772 03-10-2021, 08:18 AM
Last Post: LG123
  Getting started Mwo87 17 14,015 02-01-2021, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Mwo87
  How are folks using the Pinephone (sim swapping?) bartleby 18 15,472 12-05-2020, 08:54 PM
Last Post: ryo
  WiFi/4G repeater hobbitus 0 1,363 11-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Last Post: hobbitus
  CANT GET STARTED snow season 2 3,573 10-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Last Post: bcnaz