Headphones outputting mono only?
So, I've got my BraveHeart PinePhone fixed up fairly well. I got calls, texts and wifi working, and it's *almost* ready to be my daily driver.

Still got issues with bluetooth, seems running bluetooth at the same time as wifi makes both unpredictable and prone to disconnection, so I have to remove the bluetooth firmware to get a usable experience. That necessitates that I use the audio jack for sound.

No matter what I do, I can only get mono sound, and upon further investigation, it's only outputting on the left channel. I tweaked sxmo_megiaudioroute.c to use "DAC" instead of "Mixer" for the headphone output, set both channels enabled, etc, and then I didn't just get the left channel on both earbuds -- I got the left channel on the left earbud only, and silence on the right earbud.

Megi suggested I don't use that utility for music, but A. I do need phone calls, and B. even when I never use it, e.g. a fresh reboot, the issue persists.

Is anyone else getting mono only? How about anyone who has working stereo? Please also post your phone revision (e.g. braveheart) and the OS you're on.
Does nobody have headphones even working? Does anyone have stereo OR mono audio output? Or am I among the first to actually try and use the audio jack?
(06-16-2020, 08:37 PM)Subsentient Wrote: Does nobody have headphones even working? Does anyone have stereo OR mono audio output? Or am I among the first to actually try and use the audio jack?

My headphones work just fine in stereo, are you testing on the factory image or are you in an OS? I don't think it should matter, but might be worth a test to see if it's a software error on the part of the OS.

Edit: I'm also on a Braveheart
(06-16-2020, 09:51 PM)gotomech Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 08:37 PM)Subsentient Wrote: Does nobody have headphones even working? Does anyone have stereo OR mono audio output? Or am I among the first to actually try and use the audio jack?

My headphones work just fine in stereo, are you testing on the factory image or are you in an OS? I don't think it should matter, but might be worth a test to see if it's a software error on the part of the OS.

Edit: I'm also on a Braveheart
I'm on Fedora 32 with XFCE with a custom megi kernel.
Fixed it, adding some help for any other poor bastards who end up with this problem. ALSA was saving a bad state.
I've saved a correct one you can use for headphones, and included a screenshot of proper mixer settings in case your kernel has a different name for one of the controls.
Restore this state with 'alsactl restore -f headphones.alsa'

Attached Files
.png   goodheadphones.png (Size: 71.79 KB / Downloads: 379)
(06-16-2020, 11:12 PM)Subsentient Wrote: Fixed it, adding some help for any other poor bastards who end up with this problem. ALSA was saving a bad state.
I've saved a correct one you can use for headphones, and included a screenshot of proper mixer settings in case your kernel has a different name for one of the controls.
Restore this state with 'alsactl restore -f headphones.alsa'

Glad you got it working, and good to know about the solution in case I ever run into that
This is probably something that's going to vary from distro to distro depending on which mechanism they're using to handle audio profiles. Saving and loading alsa mixer state is one approach. Profiles using alsaucm is another (see under /usr/share/alsa/ucm and/or /usr/share/alsa/ucm2). PulseAudio may present another option. Anything that's saving user changes really ought to have a 'revert to system defaults' option to get to known-good settings.
(06-15-2020, 10:39 PM)Subsentient Wrote: Is anyone else getting mono only? How about anyone who has working stereo? Please also post your phone revision (e.g. braveheart) and the OS you're on.
I have a BH device and tested it now explicitly on mobian + posh with headphones.
I do have proper stereo, tested in firefox with some online sound test tool.
What does not work for me is the sound input: it is very noisy, low and voice is not understandable. Cannot use it for calls - just hearing on pinephone side.
Is sound input ok for you?
(06-23-2020, 02:25 PM)Ppuser77 Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 10:39 PM)Subsentient Wrote: Is anyone else getting mono only? How about anyone who has working stereo? Please also post your phone revision (e.g. braveheart) and the OS you're on.
I have a BH device and tested it now explicitly on mobian + posh with headphones.
I do have proper stereo, tested in firefox with some online sound test tool.
What does not work for me is the sound input: it is very noisy, low and voice is not understandable. Cannot use it for calls - just hearing on pinephone side.
Is sound input ok for you?
Yes, it works for me, but you should check your audio configuration in your modem, particularly, run the AT command:
Code:
AT+QDAI=1,0,0,2,0,1,1,1

What kernel are you using? Upstream Pine64 kernel? Megous kernel?
Headphones not working for me. A telegram post suggests automatic switching between internal speaker and headphones isn't working yet?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headphones vs Headset detection jmorris 2 3,011 03-19-2021, 10:26 AM
Last Post: jmorris