What is this clicking noise when booting?
As title says I'm wondering where the clicking noise is coming from. I am running Ubports but if I remember correctly, the sound also occurred when I ran tried mobian. Has anyone else noticed that sound? It is pretty quite and can be felt in your hand when you hold the phone. It feels like it is a physical switch or relay being activated.
I think it is the auto-focus of the camera.
Or the flash. There were some issues with the flash light being activated on boot.
OK thanks for suggestions. I don't mind the noise much. But I was a bit worried something might be broken or about to break.
? Possibly the vibrator motor ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Something opens the /dev/video# devices during boot, and when those are open, the selected camera sensor is powered up. Powering up the back camera will shift the autofocus lense quickly, resulting in a "click" sound.

For example on Arch Linux, it's systemd or udev that opens the video device. (v4l_id program)

I have support for both cameras in my kernel, and it seems that the default camera is the front one for me, for whatever reason. So I don't hear any clicks, because front cam doesn't have autofocus.

If you don't like it you can comment out udev rules that call v4l_id program.
(06-14-2020, 01:08 AM)Momomentum Wrote: As title says I'm wondering where the clicking noise is coming from. I am running Ubports but if I remember correctly, the sound also occurred when I ran tried mobian. Has anyone else noticed that sound? It is pretty quite and can be felt in your hand when you hold the phone. It feels like it is a physical switch or relay being activated.
Hey,

I also have experienced a "clicking sound" from time to time during boot (not every boot. which after reading this thread believed it may be camera shutter related as it sounded like it may be). However just now I found I could reproduce what sounds identical (followed by very high pitch sound) when hitting screen rotate or other visual changing buttons on the touch screen.

It seems to happen at complete random. But at the moment during use I first hear the click sound, I can make it happen again in the following seconds by touching the screen in a way that either rotates the screen or changes to a tab, etc. When reproducing it left a high pitched sound at the tail end.

Just thought I would chime in in case anyone had any ideas/if it gave any clues. I am not worried/bothered about it so much (as long as it is not a sign of failing hardware- that would be heartbreaking, I love my Pinephone received it just a few days ago) Heart Big Grin

I was able to reproduce it after the first click heard running Mobian.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,199 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Camera clicking sound unsatisfactory212 2 2,739 05-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Last Post: megous
  Not charging, not detected when booting jumpdrive acohl 1 2,059 03-05-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: desca
  [BH] Issues booting from eMMC with NON-BOOTABLE SD card inserted Segfault 7 7,513 06-24-2020, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Luke
  not booting from sd card quixote 8 8,242 02-13-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: DrewTechs