PineTab Mobian
I've gotten Mobian running on my Pinetab, and it looks good. Two problems: first, it seems stuck in portrait mode, and stuff goes off the right side of the screen (like the Next button in the Welcome app). Needless to say, with the keyboard attached, I'm always going to want landscape.  I can't find the Displays item in Settings, and I don't know Wayland well enough to know how to change rotation manually. Any solution to this, no matter how much of a kludge, would be appreciated.

Secondly, I'm an i3 user, so I figured I'd install Sway, which I did. However, I can't figure out how to enable it. The Gnome logout button is disabled, so maybe there's no login manager running? Again, any kludge would be much appreciated.
I received my PineTab on Tuesday, but since today I couldn't test anything apart from the UBports.

I tested foe the moment the Mobian OS in an SD card, and the initial steps are not in a good format, I can't see the right part, but once this is done, the PineTab works surprisingly well, I tested the camera and it works (in UBports does not...). The keyboard and the mouse seem to work good also. I can access the forums via Firefox on the PineTab. It is true that the applications run a little bit slow, but probably it is due to the fact that I'm using a SD card.

I am very pleased with this OS.

I will try Manjaro, archlinux and Postmarket OS.
(09-11-2020, 04:55 PM)gimy16 Wrote: I received my PineTab on Tuesday, but since today I couldn't test anything apart from the UBports.

I tested foe the moment the Mobian OS in an SD card, and the initial steps are not in a good format, I can't see the right part, but once this is done, the PineTab works surprisingly well, I tested the camera and it works (in UBports does not...). The keyboard and the mouse seem to work good also. I can access the forums via Firefox on the PineTab. It is true that the applications run a little bit slow, but probably it is due to the fact that I'm using a SD card.

Mobian on pinetab is quite nice, the only real problem I've had is that in some regular gnome applications the top menu bar is hidden behind the phosh top bar. But aside from that Gimp (with a few configuration tweaks to the UI layout) and even libreoffice would be a joy to use on a touch screen.
I don't think any of the Manjaros get as far as a UI yet, but probably will soon.
Arch loads up and looks like it might be good, but since my digitizer broke I can't press unlock on the login screen and keyboard/mouse support isn't enabled during setup, so I'm stuck there.
The upside down screen when docked is nearly fixed in the current version, but I've just noticed that if the unit goes to sleep, you get the portrait mode unlock screen (no big problem), but when unlocked the screen is upside down again. Can be fixed by switching back to portrait then landscape again tho.
Having a few unique connectivity issues, I've decided to try out some peripherals via usb.  A usb mouse works very well attached to the usb-a socket and also via a micro usb hub attached to the micro usb slot. No life on the hdmi port. but connecting my mobian pinephone gives an ethernet over usb connection and gets an ip (it's like those nesting dolls)! dns doesn't set up properly tho.
For the people without sound in Mobian. You can unmute DAC Mixer AIF1 DA0 in Alsamixer to let the sound work.
(09-11-2020, 07:59 PM)pjsf Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 04:55 PM)gimy16 Wrote: I received my PineTab on Tuesday, but since today I couldn't test anything apart from the UBports.

Mobian on pinetab is quite nice, the only real problem I've had is that in some regular gnome applications the top menu bar is hidden behind the phosh top bar. But aside from that Gimp (with a few configuration tweaks to the UI layout) and even libreoffice would be a joy to use on a touch screen.
I don't think any of the Manjaros get as far as a UI yet, but probably will soon.
Arch loads up and looks like it might be good, but since my digitizer broke I can't press unlock on the login screen and keyboard/mouse support isn't enabled during setup, so I'm stuck there.

Same here, more or less. I'm trying now Mobian with the keyboard and the keyboard and the touchpad work without any issue. The only thing is that when you put the Tab to the key, it does not rotate, and you have to rotate it manually.

Yesterday, I tried to use Arch which was surpirisingly good, I haven't got luck with Manjaro and Postmarket, I flashed both od them in an SD card, but none of them seemed to work. I will try it again later.
(09-12-2020, 05:49 AM)m.alizade7 Wrote: For the people without sound in Mobian. You can unmute DAC Mixer AIF1 DA0 in Alsamixer to let the sound work.
Thank you so much! I figured it out after I read you post. Another tip is to increase the volume in Alsamixer for DAC (actually set it about 65). For others that might not be familiar with Alsamixer like me, Ubuntu has a nice basic guide for navigating the GUI in the terminal: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/Alsamixer Lastly, in the GUI in the terminal, one has to scroll pretty far to reach the DAC area. I kept thinking I couldn't see it, but I just hadn't scrolled far enough.
(09-12-2020, 09:55 AM)gimy16 Wrote: <snip>
Same here, more or less. I'm trying now Mobian with the keyboard and the keyboard and the touchpad work without any issue. The only thing is that when you put the Tab to the key, it does not rotate, and you have to rotate it manually.
<snip>

The best way would be to use autorotate based on orientation but as far as I understood it the gyro/accelerator sensor used in the tab has no driver (yet)?

And afaik that's also not yet working for the pinephone on mobian (would be for other reasons in this case I guess -
since the MPU6050 is widespread).
I gave Mobian a try yesterday, installed on an SDcard and so far I am very happy with. The landscape/portrait issue is the same as everyone else. Sluggish starting off apps isn't a problem. The software centre does however crash every time I check for updates, installing apps is fine and removing apps is fine (like chromium that appeared in this mornings updates Sad  installed via the commandline).

I have found that yubikey works fine with firefox.

Thanks for this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTab 2 login screen rotation fix chzbacon 11 3,592 03-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: mtomaschett
  NixOS on PineTab 2 asonix 3 1,900 02-24-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Evergreen
  [PineTab2] Issues with Mobian Networking Cornelia Xaos 7 2,360 12-30-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: Cornelia Xaos
  Mobian Boot Problem rogerwegmann 14 3,373 12-13-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Working OS on pinetab RISC-V? user641 3 631 12-13-2023, 08:11 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Mobian won't boot after ton of updates bartgrefte 11 4,316 12-10-2023, 02:47 AM
Last Post: bartgrefte
  Pinetab 2 as Pinebook Pro replacement Corkonian 4 2,042 08-15-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: CadenAnderson
  Software for PineTab-V msm 12 4,263 08-05-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: bingch
  Mobian - Phosh frtodd 1 1,174 06-18-2023, 04:51 AM
Last Post: GloriousCoffee
  Arch Linux ARM on PineTab 1 Danct12 25 29,180 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: fxc