New to Pinebook Pro
Big Grin 
Salutations Everyone,

I just purchased my pinebook pro recently and just received it yesterday. I am so excited to finally have a linux operating system as up until this point i've only ever used Mac and Windows. I've never dabbled in Linux before so this will be my maiden voyage.

I've been trying to read the wikis and information on Google but unfortunately I do not have the time to go through all the documentations just yet. I had a few questions:

1. I want to install Thunderbird the email client from the makers of Mozilla firefox do I install with a package manager or outside a package manager. Since I'm new to Linux I must ask what is the package manager and how to do I access it?

2. I wanted to download Discord for my pinebook pro when I went to their site and clicked Download for Linux, two options appeared. deb and tar.gz , I briefly searched these two on Google but there as not beginer to Linux information easily found for what these are and which one I should click on for my pinebook pro.

Regards,

Sanjev Rajaram
manjaro package manager is pacman.

discord for arm64 is not officially a thing. use the website client or gtkcord3
(06-05-2020, 07:22 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: manjaro package manager is pacman.

Awesome but what is Manjao Package Manager? Is that included in this laptop.

Website client should be fine. I'm unfamiliar with the term "gtkcord3", what does it mean?
(06-05-2020, 07:25 PM)SanjevR Wrote:

Website client should be fine. I'm unfamiliar with the term "gtkcord3", what does it mean?

Hello Dear and Welcome to Pine64 Forum,

I will try to help you with your query.

Manjaro Package Manager is pamac while pacman is from command line. For ease of user we have Pamac which is a Graphical UI.
Please press the 'M' Logo on the bottom left of your screen and you will see a Start menu then just type `pamac` and it will show you "Add/Remove Software" this will open the application which is responsible for installing and removing software application from Manjaro OS.

There you can just type "Thunderbird" and it will show an Install button on the right side, to install it will ask you for your login password for security purpose, please type in the password and it will start the installation process.

Once installation is completed you will see Thunderbird in your Start menu and you can add it to the task bar using 'Pin to task bar' option.

I hope this will give you a basic understanding on how to install/remove softwares on Manjaro.

Good Luck.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
(06-06-2020, 02:00 AM)spikerguy Wrote:

Manjaro Package Manager is pamac while pacman is from command line. For ease of user we have Pamac which is a Graphical UI.
Please press the 'M' Logo on the bottom left of your screen and you will see a Start menu then just type `pamac` and it will show you "Add/Remove Software" this will open the application which is responsible for installing and removing software application from Manjaro OS.

There you can just type "Thunderbird" and it will show an Install button on the right side, to install it will ask you for your login password for security purpose, please type in the password and it will start the installation process.

Once installation is completed you will see Thunderbird in your Start menu and you can add it to the task bar using 'Pin to task bar' option.

I hope this will give you a basic understanding on how to install/remove softwares on Manjaro.

Good Luck.
 Awesome that was great help! Quick questions though when I downloaded Thunderbird and placed the icon on my desktop there is Red Triangle with an Exclamation Mark on it. What does that Mean? I don't know how to screenshot yet in Pinebrook Pro but I wish I could to show you the image of it.
(06-06-2020, 08:19 PM)SanjevR Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 02:00 AM)spikerguy Wrote:

Good Luck.
 Awesome that was great help! Quick questions though when I downloaded Thunderbird and placed the icon on my desktop there is Red Triangle with an Exclamation Mark on it. What does that Mean? I don't know how to screenshot yet in Pinebrook Pro but I wish I could to show you the image of it.

Hello Dear,

It would be helpful if you can share a screenshot of this as I have never seen Thunderbird icon with red mark.

Thanks.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro vs Pinetab2 Lotech 0 188 02-13-2024, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Lotech
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,644 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  Please Help: Bricked Pinebook Pro with Keyboard Update dumbguywhobrokehiscomputer 3 3,898 07-14-2021, 02:49 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Java on Manjaro ARM Pinebook Pro gulagpyromaniac 3 3,786 05-25-2021, 11:05 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Setup My Pinebook 64 and Lost Password jersdayoff 5 5,688 05-01-2021, 10:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,949 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
  Pinebook Pro- configuration aborts setting keyboard layout scroall 10 12,052 10-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Last Post: scroall
  Changing locale on Pinebook Pro Perl6_user 5 6,963 09-16-2020, 05:13 PM
Last Post: guava
  WiFi issues Pinebook Pro sunnystormy 6 8,863 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Pinebook Pro NVMe Question Selden 6 9,935 03-25-2019, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Luke