High Level Conceptual Question - IoT, maker type projects
Pine64 is the first SoC type system I've owned and I got excited when I heard about all of the different hardware connectors it offers- eular, i2c, ext, rpi-2, etc. because I've seen various maker type projects that fascinate me where folks using other boards like RasberryPi and Arduino, etc. connect to stepper motors and servos , that'll take input, say, from old WII remotes to do cool things. 

One video I saw showed a guy who bought used electric wheelchair motors from eBay to make a remote controlled lawn mower, for example. The Windows/IoT/Azure site has a project that uses, I believe, facial recognition, to manipulate the lock on an entry door. 

Most of these projects seem to use drop-in Python (or other scripting languages) scripts to manages all of the input and output signals.

I know Pine64 has the promise of the Z-Wave modules working soon and there are temperature and light sensors available- and I'm not particularly referring to that type of use, but not specifically ruling it out either. I've seen some of the GPIO discussion threads and will confess being completely lost, but I suspect that others doing such projects with other boards don't have that sort of expertise either. 

As I stated, I have very little experience with such projects, so I'm not asking for too many specifics at this point, but I am curious as to the current state of things, in terms of a noob completing these sorts of projects, generally. Can someone with basic scripting experience and the ability to read pin-out diagrams buy some connectors and breadboards and get started today with that sort of tinkering using one of the Ubuntu or Debian builds presently available?

Messages In This Thread
High Level Conceptual Question - IoT, maker type projects - by HayseedGeek - 08-07-2016, 08:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Website for Pine64 projects cookeys 8 11,747 05-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Last Post: rahlquist
  Question about Shields monmoonmooonmoooon 2 5,618 01-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Last Post: monmoonmooonmoooon