FreeBSD and gig ethernet
(11-02-2021, 06:09 PM)tllim Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 11:23 AM)roboman Wrote: Bought 4 Rock64 v 2.0 boards.  Visually, they look identical.  
Objective: 2 clusters, high availability
cluster one - pihole running Armbian
cluster two - NFS server running FreeBSD

I was able to get the Armbian systems working with pihole without issue.

1. On FreeBSD, only one of the 4 boards will recognize the 1-gig ethernet.  The other three boards don't work. I can take the SDCard out of the working machine and place it in any of the other three machines - no ethernet.

2. If I manually downgrade the 1-gig connection to 100 MB, it works.

3. Verified 1-gig works on all four boards under Armbian

4. This led me to believe that a "plug-in" kernel hack is needed to instruct FreeBSD how to properly use this hardware.  I contacted FreeBSD-ARM and FreeBSD-USB forum.  No solution.  They suspect this is a hardware bug.  I asked if their is a software band-aid such as a kernel overlay - no response. No response from the forum typically means everyone was thinking "I don't personally know of a kernel overlay for that, so I'm not speaking up".  No answer typically means no.

5. Tried to OpenBSD/NetBSD - can't even get it installed w/o serial console configuration (which I didn't have on-hand); ---or--- they also experienced the problem and just didn't connect to Ethernet.

Question for Pine64 team and anyone/everyone who reads this:

Can anyone confirm that this is related to: minor differences in hardware, faulty hardware --or-- u-boot misconfiguration, etc..  I just want to put a period on the end of this sentence.  I've worked hard to resolve this and successfully got 1 working; but not the other 3.  All 4 of them run Armbian w/o any issue.  Only 1 will run BSD.

There is no minor differences in the hardware, possible the OpenBSD doesn't set the Gigabit delay line parameter correctly and this can cause packet loss.

Actually I have experienced similar situation as what roboman described here. For me about one in two of my purchased Rock64 v2's ethernet port work normally with OpenBSD.

My best guess is that's caused by hardware differences between batches.

Messages In This Thread
FreeBSD and gig ethernet - by roboman - 11-02-2021, 11:23 AM
RE: FreeBSD and gig ethernet - by tllim - 11-02-2021, 06:09 PM
RE: FreeBSD and gig ethernet - by Enig123 - 11-04-2021, 12:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 ethernet not working during install OpenBSD Enig123 4 6,837 05-25-2020, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Enig123