3D Printable Fan Mount Mod for the Open Enclosure + DT/Arduino Sketch for PWMing it
Hi all,

As you all know, the ROCK64 runs notoriously hot for what it is. I've taken it upon myself to remedy some of that.

I've designed a 3D-printable top plate for the "Model B" open enclosure which allows you to mount a 40mm fan to it. Your fan will likely come with self-tapping screws, and the mounting holes are sized so that they should perfectly tap into them.

I know the board is mounted wrong in the photo, I've fixed it since

[Image: Model%20B%20Open%20Enclosure%20Top%20Fan%20Mount.jpeg][Image: model_b_top_cad.png]

I've used PETG as filament, and a 0.6mm nozzle. PLA and a different sized nozzle should also work perfectly fine though. The fan in question is a 5V Noctua NF-A4x10 5V PWM; it comes with self-tapping mounting screws, and a USB adapter which runs the fan at full speed. This is good enough for me to test it for now, but the end goal is to do proper pwm fan control with a modified device tree.

Cooling performance is "okay"; due to the SoC being directly in the centre of the fan where airflow isn't ideal, it's less than expected. But I can now run cpuburn-a53 on it continuously without throttling. I seem to top out at 75°C in fact. Before I installed a fan, the CPU would get to 85°C and start throttling down to cool off.

My next steps are to design a circuit to drive the 5V PWM and Tacho (speed sensor) from the ROCK64's 3.3V GPIO. Then, I'll look into modifying the device tree so I can provide a patch which will speed up and slow down the fan as required using the kernel's "pwm-fan" driver, instead of a userspace software solution.

Since the Model B Open Enclosure is used by what I presume is all other Model B sized PINE64 SBCs, this particular 3D printable mod can be used for those too.

You can download the STL and STEP file from the wiki, I've licensed it as CC-BY 4.0: https://wiki.pine64.org/images/9/9d/Mode...cutout.zip

I'll try to keep this thread updated as I make progress on the 5V fan control electronics and the device tree.

Occasional Linux Kernel Contributor, Avid Wiki Updater, Ask Me About Quartz64
Open Hardware Quartz64 Model A TOSLink Adapter
Pi-bus GPIO Extender For ROCKPro64 And Quartz64 Model A
Plebian GNU/Linux

Messages In This Thread
3D Printable Fan Mount Mod for the Open Enclosure + DT/Arduino Sketch for PWMing it - by CounterPillow - 06-08-2021, 12:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3D-Printable Button Pegs for the ROCK64 Aluminium Case CounterPillow 2 3,503 08-04-2022, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Vicky Weimann PhD
  Which Voltage and Amper to supply both Rock64 + External drive enclosure ? prog-amateur 0 2,521 08-21-2020, 09:16 PM
Last Post: prog-amateur
Lightbulb Mount a HeatSink on the Rock64 using 3M Thermal Tapes MarkHaysHarris777 22 45,011 11-29-2019, 03:14 AM
Last Post: ab1jx
  Recommendation for external hdd enclosure majortom 1 2,733 05-16-2019, 04:54 AM
Last Post: davidm
  ROCK64 STEREO AUDIO DAC ADD-ON BOARD Sketch killor 4 6,732 11-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Last Post: killor
  ROCK64 Acrylic Enclosure Assembly ironhand 2 4,195 08-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Last Post: ironhand