Hardwired software or functionality imposed by companies or authorities
(06-12-2021, 02:30 AM)ryo Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 03:29 AM)biketool Wrote: As for oppressed minorities I literally mean any group which is having their human rights violated by another group who has the power of state violence and financial coercion or at least the power to regionally oppress like rebel militias, organized crime, etc.  Defining who is oppressed on a tech project like this will tend to fragment the community so I would prefer not to pursue the topic except acknowledging oppressed people exist and I hope they might use tools we develop to improve their situation.
So like the Uygurs, Mongols, and Tibetans in China?
Nowadays, some countries consider "oppressed minorities" those who can afford the latest, highest end iPhone every single year, wear fancy clothes, go to Starbucks with their MacBook Pro very often, but just happen to have a certain skin color and scream "I'M OPPRESSED!!", which is why I asked.
I'm glad you're not one of those people, and actually consider "oppressed minorities" the ones who actually are so.
To be fair there is also a small wealthy city state enclave currently being absorbed by a large authoritarian nation state where many residents can concurrently experience the ability to purchase the finest consumer goods and drink fancy coffee while still risking extrajudicial execution or secret imprisonment and reeducation for protesting this absorption and drastic violations of treaty rights.  I do feel that deciding or even discussing who is worthy of our technology is a loosing game, we work with free open source software so anyone from Beijing to Helsinki to Perth can download, fork, and compile it for free; and deciding who we like or dislike on a forum like this is at a minimum a distraction from our amazing and rather unique efforts.   I am more concerned about potential public relations scandals and driving away good developers by engaging in non-productive off-topic political thought on public forums.
I applaud anyone who uses privacy tools for making a good overall choice, I do not concern myself if any user from a particular group are actually being oppressed or not, it is always a in our interests to enlarge the the user pool to add decoys to the target swarm of free open source privacy tools as this makes tracking and de-anonymizing of every individual privacy tool user more difficult both for corporate and sovereign investigators.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hardwired software or functionality imposed by companies or authorities - by biketool - 06-13-2021, 05:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Repository" for Safe Software/Apps? MarsColonist 2 1,487 05-12-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: MarsColonist
  Favorite software? Scary Guy 0 936 02-16-2022, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  unable to install any software pine-user1 2 1,442 11-09-2021, 01:07 AM
Last Post: ryo
  software jesica 3 2,937 10-30-2021, 08:27 AM
Last Post: beta-user
  jumpdrive software might be faulty (or my pinephone hardware) zetabeta 3 3,196 07-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Latest PinePhone CE Manjaro - Charging issues: hardware or software? kern707 5 4,682 11-20-2020, 12:09 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Mobian on SD Card or Flashed To eMMC For Better Functionality . . . NobodyNew1 3 4,224 09-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2
  Software options for thermal throttling? e1337 5 6,977 06-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Software back to basics Zweitaktmotor 4 6,483 12-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Last Post: bcnaz