Just another noob wanting to know your favorite build
Alright!  Lets get this show on the road.  So I ordered a brand new pinephone (3gig CE model) the other day and am already chomping at the bit to start playing around with it.  I know it comes with Manjaro Plasma and that distro sounds like it "might work well."  Im not so worried about doing too much crazy stuff but I do have basic things I want the phone to be capable of doing to be what I would consider a "Daily Driver". 

1. Make and receive phonecalls without a hitch.
2. Do normal texting things.  (Not so worried about MMS)
3. HOT SPOT HOT SPOT HOT SPOT.........(I love my hotspot and the ability to work on my laptop while on the go.  I travel a lot.)
4. (A working GPS with a map utility would be nice but not required.)
5. Camera?  Yeah....that could prove useful at times.  

If it can do these things, it will be my daily driver.  From what I hear, Manjaro "should" be able to do all/most of this out of the box but I would like to hear about Mobian--which sounds like it could be more stable.  Also, to those of you who have taken a swing at making a pinephone your daily driver, what programs/tweaks did you make to help the process along?

The carrier I was going to attempt was Visible which is a Verizon based sim which I will activate on a dummy phone and stuff in the pinephone.  (Hopefully It goes as smoothly as it has in my head.)

I might play around with GloDroid but it sounds like a frustrating experience with some of the more basic functionality not working.  (Let me know if they it has improved)
What resources are there for people who want to attempt running those 1 or 2 android apps?  I heard Anbox can be attempted but don't know much about it.  I have other phones so if it cant do everything that is fine especially since I have seen pretty good progress made since the last time I checked in on the pinephone.  I am not a linux master by any means but I am a linux enthusiast and very much enjoy the idea of a more secure and free virtual world that doesn't get its money selling my personal info.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Just another noob wanting to know your favorite build - by AwHereWeGoAgain - 05-04-2021, 03:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complete noob to the Pinephone 64, cannot set time and date. gordr 11 2,768 06-06-2023, 10:27 AM
Last Post: gordr
  Favorite software? Scary Guy 0 969 02-16-2022, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Poll: What is your favorite distro/interface for the PinePhone? amosbatto 8 11,052 02-01-2022, 07:47 AM
Last Post: amosbatto
  Poll 2: What is your favorite distro/interface for the PinePhone? amosbatto 3 3,600 12-01-2021, 04:36 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Poll 4: What is your favorite distro/interface for the PinePhone? amosbatto 7 6,500 02-11-2021, 09:58 AM
  Poll 3: What is your favorite distro/interface for the PinePhone? amosbatto 0 1,560 02-01-2021, 07:57 AM
Question PinePhone Build Environment grondinm 5 6,425 09-30-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: wibble