eMMC boot help
(11-20-2019, 01:05 AM)SuburbanDad Wrote: So I have been operating under the assumption this was a software only problem.

Maybe ... I don't know since my PineH64 is equipped with eMMC yet, I've asked @tllim if he could provide me a sample so I can narrow the issue.
(11-20-2019, 02:21 PM)martinayotte Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 01:05 AM)SuburbanDad Wrote: So I have been operating under the assumption this was a software only problem.

Maybe ... I don't know since my PineH64 is equipped with eMMC yet, I've asked @tllim if he could provide me a sample so I can narrow the issue.

Thanks for looking into it.  In the interim, does anybody have any pointers for repairing the u-boot install on eMMC?  The furthest I have gotten is getting u-boot installed and attempting to find the kernel/root partition (I am not sure which is failing).  There aren't specific offsets that u-boot is using to find root partition right?  My understanding is that it should just check the target partition for Image or zImage in `/` or `/boot`.  any old ext4 or btrfs partition should work?

TIA

edit: after some more iterating on various configs, it is pretty clear that it is a kernel build issue. Android 9 starts from mmc fine, AOSC 02-16-19 also. But AOSC 07-09-19 and the armbian images do not boot. They seem to load the kernel, then go awry when they need to read from mmc. However, in AOSC 02-16 the neither the NIC nor the wifi work. Seriously tedious. When I boot Armbian from SD, everything works. Except the eMMC.

I will make a pass at building a new kernel from the 5.90 kernel sources, but I am just throwing darts at this point.
(11-22-2019, 02:12 PM)SuburbanDad Wrote: When I boot Armbian from SD, everything works. Except the eMMC.
I've received my eMMC module today, I had on my SDCard Armbian Stretch with Linux 5.4.0-rc8-sunxi64, so I've simply erased partitions already present on the eMMC and ran "nand-sata-install", halted the board, removed SD and rebooted, it rebooted from eMMC without any issue.
I'm now building 5.4.2 and will update my PineH64 Model B in the next hour ...
I have manjaro-arm booting fine from eMMC. I wrote it to eMMC with suse image writer and it booted straith away. What I notice it takes some time before I see something on the screen. I don't even use Pine eMMC but an old one from a Odroid C1.
I have tried two images with the eMMC module:
- The new Armbian images for the Model B built 25-12-2019
- The AOSC image on the PINE64 wiki from September 2019

Neither boot from the eMMC module. Armbian hangs at attempting to mount the root filesystem. AOSC reports a data error on the eMMC, pauses, disables IRQ 96 then hangs in a kworker thread trying to use the eMMC module.

UPDATE: NetBSD can access the eMMC no trouble booted off the SD Card, Linux can NOT; there's a kernel bug afoot.
Patch is available here --> https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12479-pi...mc-solved/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE H64 u-boot and kernel shinymetal 2 5,941 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Last Post: shinymetal