Tutorial:How to Configure ATS Fan control
Wink 
(02-06-2019, 03:13 PM)Neo2018 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 07:27 AM)tuxd3v Wrote: I noticed that you are using Seagate IronWolf disks..
Those cat handle a max temp of 70C, WesternDigital max out at 60C..
I also have IronWolfs in my setup.. 
I made a tutorial that you will need for Seagate disks:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7137
Thanks for the tip, good job again!
But I'm a bit scared to install an external tool now. Data loss.
I use OMV with S.M.A.R.T. for the HDD.
[Image: 2R3Yf.jpg]
Are you of the opinion that the tool is a good extension and with S.M.A.R.T. compatible?

Hello Neo2018,
100% positive!  Shy 

That tools, can work in some Other vendors to( at a certain extent, Samsung/WesternDigital, etc ), but they are made for Seagate Disks!

Puting the question on other way...
Does the Standard tools( on Linux ) we know, are able to provide the same, as do the Own Seagate Tools( OpenSeaChest ), on Seagate Disks?
I believe not, the Seagate tools are the best for Seagate disks like the ironWolfs,has they have S.M.A.R.T Features and also, other tunning features that are IP related with Seagate Technology..
They implement all standards, plus Own Seagate Tech..

The 2 tooltips, are a must,
Because they increase disks lifespan, and they also increase Rockpro64 PowerManagement /Power Supply life span( has the disks have technology to be less aggressive..they use also less power...its a Win-Win-Win situation.. )

Os startup the discs will be first in Standby( which is nice because they push a lot less energy, when system startup ).
They also will use less aggressive acceleration, when start spinning, its more controlled, and so less vibration and less current peaks needed Smile

The image you show are related with PowerModes,
That is yet another thing, related with power management( But by time Frames.. ), but Unrelated with the 2 parameters on my post.

Those 2 parameters are the first ones that I set, when Configuring IronWolfs, they are a must, and because I saw that you use ironwolfs, I gave you the tips Wink

You don't loose data with them, and you can also disable them whenever you want too.
But there are other options there,
To format disks, to write firmware update to disks, and so on, and with them, you could end with a disk damaged( if you don't know what you are doing...just imagine re flashing a new version of firmware...and the power is lost in the process...you can trow the disk to RubishBin ).

Basically APM, have modes from 1-254
On Ironwolfs,:
 1-127 : Means possibility of Standby, after some time spinning
128-254: Don't have the possibility to standby, also 254 is full performance on IronWolfs..

I also set my disks to 127,
Because they can wakeup to work, and then go Standby.

I will create another How-to for tunning, when I have some spare time  Shy
(02-06-2019, 04:55 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: The 2 tooltips, are a must,
Because they increase disks lifespan, and they also increase Rockpro64 PowerManagement /Power Supply life span( has the disks have technology to be less aggressive..they use also less power...its a Win-Win-Win situation.. )
I would definitely like to increase my life of the hard drives (manufacturer stated about 5 years life). Undecided

(02-06-2019, 04:55 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: I will create another How-to for tunning, when I have some spare time  Shy
It would be very helpful if there is a tutorial that explains exactly step by step installation, operation, setting initiation to avoid mistakes!
I am very excited and will wait for it.
Thank you tuxd3v
(02-08-2019, 05:17 AM)Neo2018 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 04:55 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: The 2 tooltips, are a must,
I would definitely like to increase my life of the hard drives (manufacturer stated about 5 years life). Undecided 

There are several options to increase life span of a disk..
IronWolfs have  3 years Warranty( the PRO line I think offers 5 years )
But this disks should be ok for 10 years or so..  Shy
(12-22-2018, 03:44 PM)tuxd3v Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 05:29 AM)va88 Wrote: Could this possibly work on a Rock64?

At the moment it wouldn't work, in future releases perhaps..
I am redesigning the Backend of ATS, so accept different input sources and different output sources.

But the most important are SysFs and PWM..
In Rock64 I don't know if there are any pwm driver there, or if there are any fan conector..

It could be possible to generate the pwm, via GPIO, but a HardWare power driver( like in Rockpro64 need to exist in some form to switch the fan On/Off ).
It could be even a breakout board connected to gpio and 12 volts, receiving pwm from ATS for example..

I don't know much about rock64

Someone managed to get this to work with Rock64?
I have a case from C4Labs with a CPU fan, but the fan runs at full speed the whole time and is very noisy.

I also don't know about any PWM drivers.
It doesn't look like that this board has any fan connector, here is a pdf of the pins:
http://files.pine64.org/doc/rock64/ROCK6...5+_Bus.pdf

I am a noob concerning electronics, which kind of breakout board do I need, can you please give me an example for what I should look for?
Maybe something like this:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Automatic-Temper...Sw5HBbSFyA

This board works even without ATS, right?
My fan only has two pins, do I need a 4 pin to 2 pin adapter to connect to Fan1 on this board?
And for what is the black cable of this board? For the information of the CPU heat of the Rock64?

Huh
(04-12-2020, 05:35 AM)Falcon Wrote: Someone managed to get this to work with Rock64?
I have a case from C4Labs with a CPU fan, but the fan runs at full speed the whole time and is very noisy.

I also don't know about any PWM drivers.
It doesn't look like that this board has any fan connector, here is a pdf of the pins:
http://files.pine64.org/doc/rock64/ROCK6...5+_Bus.pdf

I am a noob concerning electronics, which kind of breakout board do I need, can you please give me an example for what I should look for?
Maybe something like this:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Automatic-Temper...Sw5HBbSFyA

This board works even without ATS, right?
My fan only has two pins, do I need a 4 pin to 2 pin adapter to connect to Fan1 on this board?
And for what is the black cable of this board? For the information of the CPU heat of the Rock64?

Huh
Hello,
Yes it will work without the fan,
But if you push a lot the cpu it will start to heat, and if always at full throttle, it will be needed a small fan for it, like in any other board..

For what I see, the Rock64, has the pins 27,28 as a secondary option for pwm..:
[PWM0] GPIO2_A4 (I2C1_SDA) - 27   28 - GPIO2_A5 (I2C1_SCL)[PWM1]

But you will need a external driver to drive the fan..
So you use the pwm on one of this pins, and connect it to the driver something like:
https://github.com/tuxd3v/pwm_driver

Will be needed..

I think that Rock64 doesn't have a fan output right?

Best Regards,
tux
I'm running a NASCase and DietPi and cannot seem to get this working like it used to. My fan speed only runs on high. The service says that its running and the fan only remains on throughout the test, even. Am I missing a critical step here?
I wanted to ask if we set the fan to work continuously ( I personally opted for value 70) isn't that going to degrade the life of the fan in the long run?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SkiffOS server with Docker ,NAS, Home assistant, Jellyfin, Snikket XMPP (tutorial) GreyLinux 12 9,398 04-04-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  SimpNas server with docker - home assistant, radicale , jellyfin & esphome (tutorial) GreyLinux 0 4,325 01-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  Serial Connection Tutorial: FTDI 232RL hmuller 0 3,135 10-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Last Post: hmuller
Wink Tutorial[ Seagate Disks ]: Optimize Life Span/Power Managment tuxd3v 14 23,528 06-19-2019, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Neo2018
Thumbs Up Tutorial[ Seagate Disks ]: Install Seagate OpenSeaChest Utilities tuxd3v 41 74,234 04-08-2019, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Neo2018
  Tutorial[ Multimedia ] : Play DVD movies tuxd3v 0 2,674 02-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Last Post: tuxd3v
  Tutorial[ OpenCL ]: OpenCL 1.2 FULL_PROFILE Working tuxd3v 0 3,918 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: tuxd3v