Tutorial: Install OpenBSD on ROCK64 media board
(08-07-2018, 09:07 AM)krjdev Wrote: No, U-Boot and OpenBSD is not on the same memory device.

U-Boot -> SPI Flash
OpenBSD and loader -> On the eMMC or the MicroSD

The SPI flash is a additional IC on the ROCK64 board. It's an EEPROM which communicates via the SPI interface.
The SPI flash is NOT the eMMC or MicroSD.

The description of the SPI interface
The description of an EEPROM

Sorry, for my adoption. But I think you didn't know what a SPI Flash is.

I have added an attachment where I have marked the SPI Flash on board.

You are largely correct.

"The first step of the tutorial is to install U-Boot in the SPI flash from the ROCK64."

I misread that somehow. Changing the word "from" to "on" (and reading attentively) makes the meaning clear.

I was ignorant of the role of SPI Flash and U-Boot here, hence my bafflement over the set-up of U-Boot.

Thank you for dispelling the confusion.
No problem.

Sorry for my misspellings. I'm not a native english speaker. Sometimes I use the incorrect words.
I must improve my english skills.

I will correct that. from -> on.
(08-07-2018, 09:45 AM)krjdev Wrote: Sorry for my misspellings. I'm not a native english speaker. Sometimes I use the incorrect words.
I must improve my english skills.

I will correct that. from -> on.

Yours is an error that native speakers might make -- that or something worse.

Thank you for the education.
I have corrected the tutorial. Thank you for your help.
(06-11-2018, 01:05 PM)krjdev Wrote: Hello community!

I have wrote a tutorial how to install OpenBSD on a ROCK64 media board.
The tutorial is on my Github page available:

Tutorial to install OpenBSD

Check it out!

Cheers

krjdev

Hi,
I take it from this tutorial that OpenBSD installer doesn't support HDMI or USB displays otherwise why use a terminal to interact with openBSD, the other possibility here is to set up the install image with ethernet and ssh enabled on a default account so you can ssh into the box to install. Probably goes against the openbsd ethos though.

I ask this question because I don't have the USB serial adapter lying around, getting uboot installed doesn't seem to need any interaction (could be done blind) but bootstrapping openBSD does.
(06-11-2018, 01:05 PM)krjdev Wrote: Hello community!

I have wrote a tutorial how to install OpenBSD on a ROCK64 media board.
The tutorial is on my Github page available:

Tutorial to install OpenBSD

Check it out!

Cheers

krjdev

PS.
Any chance of just uploading the final BSD image to be able to skip the install step?
Is there anything we should do if we have the PCIE Hard Drive and no emmc chip? Could I just use an sd card or usb and install that way?
Hi!

Sorry for my late response.

I will try to make a image with preinstalled OpenBSD as soon as possible.

Cheers
What's the state of OpenBSD on these?  Do they have any support for the Mali?  Probably not if they don't have HDMI yet.
Just bought a Rock64 v2, and failed try installing OpenBSD on micro SD card. I've been using the OpenBSD snapshot's boot loader.

The biggest problem is that the Ethernet of Rock64 would not download any data when connecting to the gigabits switch, it get ip via dhcp, all is good.

Any idea how I can make it work?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OpenBSD 6.7 microSD card image krjdev 4 8,585 05-31-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: krjdev
  Rock64 ethernet not working during install OpenBSD Enig123 4 6,840 05-25-2020, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Enig123
Information NetBSD for Rock64 Luke 4 8,422 01-14-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: fmotsch
  OpenBSD: GPIO with the I2C device PCF8574(A) krjdev 0 3,833 08-09-2018, 06:41 AM
  AMENDED: OpenBSD, GigE Adapters/Chipsets, and ROCK64 STEREO AUDIO DAC ADD-ON BOARD jovval 1 4,256 08-07-2018, 02:44 AM