Integration with E-Ink Touchscreen
Hi guys,
I am awaiting the arrival of my new Pine A64 +

I am interested in the idea of adding an E-Ink touchscreen...the objective is to create a device that is more powerful and has more functionality than my kobo mini ereader. However, i wish to maintain the small size (ie 5" screen preferrable but 6" is ok if only option). 

Has anyone got any ideas on how a capacitive (preferrable but IR is an option) E-Ink screen may be connected to a Pine A64 +?

I have a bit of experience in fixing the kobo mini (ie replacing broken screens, and unbricking etc).

I usually use kobo's to run a paragliding/gliding software called XCSoar (so im not interested in e-book usage). Essentially, the importance of this point is that XCSoar updates the screen often as it is used to display live map position, alititude, barometric pressure changes with altitude (Vario), temperature, airspeed etc. I am wanting to use a Pine A64 or something similar because i want to be able to access live weather from internet based sources whilst in flight (so the ability to multitask is important...access internet without shutting down xcsoar by switching between view windows)

At this point i aim to get internet connectivity either by hotspot tethering to a mobile phone, or using a USB mobile dongle connected directly.

kind regards
Adam
Deleted duplicate thread: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=3371
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(02-14-2017, 03:29 PM)adamjedgar Wrote: Hi guys,
I am awaiting the arrival of my new Pine A64 +

I am interested in the idea of adding an E-Ink touchscreen...the objective is to create a device that is more powerful and has more functionality than my kobo mini ereader. However, i wish to maintain the small size (ie 5" screen preferrable but 6" is ok if only option). 

Has anyone got any ideas on how a capacitive (preferrable but IR is an option) E-Ink screen may be connected to a Pine A64 +?

I have a bit of experience in fixing the kobo mini (ie replacing broken screens, and unbricking etc).

I usually use kobo's to run a paragliding/gliding software called XCSoar (so im not interested in e-book usage). Essentially, the importance of this point is that XCSoar updates the screen often as it is used to display live map position, alititude, barometric pressure changes with altitude (Vario), temperature, airspeed etc. I am wanting to use a Pine A64 or something similar because i want to be able to access live weather from internet based sources whilst in flight (so the ability to multitask is important...access internet without shutting down xcsoar by switching between view windows)

At this point i aim to get internet connectivity either by hotspot tethering to a mobile phone, or using a USB mobile dongle connected directly.

kind regards
Adam

I will check out with Allwinner whether they have such experience on E-Ink when meet with them on next week.

BTW, how many forum user interest in E-Ink connection with Pine A64 board?
I for one am interested...e ink is the only screen i kow of that has excellent readability in direct sunlight...hence its suitability for paragliding use.

If i could get this working it would gve me an awesome flight computer...much better than a kobo. 

My future direction is color e ink touchscreen.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE A64 Ubuntu 18 or 20 IMG with touchscreen? burningkrome 0 552 04-29-2023, 05:13 AM
Last Post: burningkrome
  Sufficient supply for product integration? SlowBro 4 6,313 02-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Last Post: dkryder
  Switching from touchscreen to HDMI AUDIOTEK 10 12,044 08-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777