Proposed feature: Flashlight mode
Most smart phones that have back facing cameras with flash, support a flashlight feature. Most of us could use the feature on occasion. I have actually used it once about 2 weeks ago, simply because my phone was in my jacket pocket and I did not have a flashlight handy. (Okay, the one in my vehicle was less than 5 feet from me, but hey, that would caused me to open my vehicle, open the glove box and then reverse when done.)

So, I propose a PineNote flashlight feature:
  • Makes most, (or all), of the screen white
  • Turns on all the front lights
  • Allow turning off with a swipe on screen
  • Perhaps any button press would turn the feature off

Checking the PineNote Wiki, it does not mention if the audio has up / down buttons, or if the power button is detectable. But, if any buttons do exist, have them detect short duration presses and shut off flashlight mode.

Nor does the PineNote Wiki indicate if the front LEDs for warm & cold are different devices, or the same. But, in any case, get the maximum brightness out of them. (User would understandably have to assume using up some / all of the battery charge. But, that may be more important than reading / using the PineNote at that time.)

Of course the amount of people that would use this is likely few. But, it should be simple enough to implement.

A while back when I was still using a feature phone, (aka more than a dumb cell-phone, but not smart / Android), it did not support a flash light mode. However, I have a Kindle Voyage with good front LEDs, (10 I think). So it would have been nice to have a flashlight mode for that Kindle. It can kinda work as is, but any black text would absorb some of the light. Best case, make a 1 page book with no black text and use that for "flashlight" mode.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I believe you answered your own request with your last statement.

I have not used the various lights on my PineNote since shortly after it arrived. So YMMV.
(01-05-2022, 05:24 PM)jasonriedy Wrote: I believe you answered your own request with your last statement.

I have not used the various lights on my PineNote since shortly after it arrived.  So YMMV.

Yes, with a more open product like the PineNote, a "flashlight app" or photo viewer could be used.

My intent however, is to have it as simple as the Android phones, find option the pull down settings / notification, and press. Nothing else needed. Meaning I don't have create a white page, find a viewer program for that file format, display it when desired. Then, turn on the front lights to full brightness. Plus the reverse, turn off the front lights, and stop the photo / page viewer.

In my most recent usage, I would not have bothered with the PineNote potential flashlight mode as it stands now. At that point, it would have been quicker to get the flashlight out of the glove box of my vehicle.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Erm, I'm still wondering where the lights and camera are on the PineNote. This isn't a device for photography.

Someone could ramp up the backlight, but that would be silly when compared against a flashlight. Even one on a <$10 multi-tool.
(01-09-2022, 05:08 PM)jasonriedy Wrote: Erm, I'm still wondering where the lights and camera are on the PineNote.  This isn't a device for photography.

Someone could ramp up the backlight, but that would be silly when compared against a flashlight.  Even one on a <$10 multi-tool.

e-Ink displays don't use back lights. They use front lights, generally at the edge of the display, to shine light at the front of the display. It's part of the display.

And yes, a cheap flashlight is much better. But, it is a mater of convenience.

On the subject of the PineNote camera, it does not seem to have one. (Nor would it be needed by most people, since the display could not be used for preview or finished photo.)

I am not saying this is an important feature. Just something that I thought of years ago with my Kindle Voyage. One night I was reading my Kindle and the power went out. If my Kindle had a flashlight feature, I could have used it to find a "real" flashlight. Instead of fumbling around in the dark.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  abdb in 'production mode', unable to restart as root anomaly 0 1,469 01-25-2022, 06:43 AM
Last Post: anomaly