How to install dependencies for Gajim?
(01-01-2022, 10:21 PM)tk1107 Wrote: If you happen to try JMP.Chat and get Gajim incoming calls working on your phone, please let me know. I looked through my packages and it looks like I have the required dependencies. I'm not sure if the preferences pane in Gajim is accurate in showing the dependencies installed or not. I tried the "pamac-manager" command in the terminal and the pamac GUI popped up. I uninstalled Gajim and then reinstalled. The process asked me if I wanted to install optional dependences. I checked and installed all of them. pamac-manager GUI shows ten (10) repositories, too. There is no change in my call issue, though. For Gajim to work properly, all other XMPP clients with your account must be offline. I'll keep looking at it.

I was more looking into something like a video chat feature in LINE rather, not necessarily something that gives you a phone number.
I don't use JMP, and I don't really feel like getting an American or Canadian number after my experience with phone numbers provided by Skype, on which I got random calls from "Microsoft tech support" with an Indian accent or a dentist in Washington DC reminding me at 3 AM of an appointment for my kids, to which I had to explain that 1) I don't have any kids, and 2) I don't live anywhere near the US, so I have no idea why I would make an appointment.
Or a grandma who kept dialing my number thinking I was somehow her grandson even after telling her 50 times in a row that she's dialing the wrong number.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-02-2022, 01:54 AM)ryo Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 10:21 PM)tk1107 Wrote: If you happen to try JMP.Chat and get Gajim incoming calls working on your phone, please let me know. I looked through my packages and it looks like I have the required dependencies. I'm not sure if the preferences pane in Gajim is accurate in showing the dependencies installed or not. I tried the "pamac-manager" command in the terminal and the pamac GUI popped up. I uninstalled Gajim and then reinstalled. The process asked me if I wanted to install optional dependences. I checked and installed all of them. pamac-manager GUI shows ten (10) repositories, too. There is no change in my call issue, though. For Gajim to work properly, all other XMPP clients with your account must be offline. I'll keep looking at it.

I was more looking into something like a video chat feature in LINE rather, not necessarily something that gives you a phone number.
I don't use JMP, and I don't really feel like getting an American or Canadian number after my experience with phone numbers provided by Skype, on which I got random calls from "Microsoft tech support" with an Indian accent or a dentist in Washington DC reminding me at 3 AM of an appointment for my kids, to which I had to explain that 1) I don't have any kids, and 2) I don't live anywhere near the US, so I have no idea why I would make an appointment.
Or a grandma who kept dialing my number thinking I was somehow her grandson even after telling her 50 times in a row that she's dialing the wrong number.

I guess I might have been lucky so far and have not received any random calls or spam of any kind. The JMP number is easily changed and SMS, the way it was explained to me, is not traceable with the service. JMP, last I heard, was working with other companies and I'm not sure how far they have expanded. I don't use cell towers and don't have a cell company subscription. If I could get completely away from telephone numbers and have just a username for XMPP, then that would make my day. That day will eventually come, I think. When I had a regular cell service number, I received some strange calls. It's been clear sailing so far with XMPP, though.

Quick update: I found that there is a dependency that seemed to be is required, but is not listed for some reason, and does not load automatically on my phone.

Typing "yay -S gst-plugin-gtk" in a terminal window solved the problem. The audio/visual section of Gajim on my phone with Arch Linux is now working.

Thanks to all for consideration of any potential solutions.

Now to try and get the incoming calls working.......
(01-02-2022, 12:45 PM)tk1107 Wrote:

I guess I might have been lucky so far and have not received any random calls or spam of any kind. The JMP number is easily changed and SMS, the way it was explained to me, is not traceable with the service. JMP, last I heard, was working with other companies and I'm not sure how far they have expanded. I don't use cell towers and don't have a cell company subscription. If I could get completely away from telephone numbers and have just a username for XMPP, then that would make my day. That day will eventually come, I think. When I had a regular cell service number, I received some strange calls. It's been clear sailing so far with XMPP, though.

Quick update: I found that there is a dependency that seemed to be is required, but is not listed for some reason, and does not load automatically on my phone.

Typing "yay -S gst-plugin-gtk" in a terminal window solved the problem. The audio/visual section of Gajim on my phone with Arch Linux is now working.

I'm not entirely sure if this will work for incoming calls, but this might help on an Arch Linux Desktop. Let me know if you find anything out.

sudo pacman -S gajim gst-plugins-ugly gst-libav
(02-06-2022, 02:38 PM)lexlinux Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 12:45 PM)tk1107 Wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if this will work for incoming calls, but this might help on an Arch Linux Desktop. Let me know if you find anything out.

sudo pacman -S gajim gst-plugins-ugly gst-libav

I looked at my files with yay -Q and those files you mentioned are listed. I'll post here if I find something.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone AND/OR PinePhone Pro Arch Complete Install and Setup mikehenson 2 2,043 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: shifras
  How to install arch with FDE user641 3 637 01-11-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  unable to install applications dln949 5 1,383 06-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Conjada
  Latest update broke my install user641 8 3,469 02-22-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  new to pacman. Trying to install VIM, getting a 404 when it tries to download. willyray 1 1,085 12-24-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: shulamy
  Waydroid on Arch Linux ARM install guide? tk1107 3 5,455 10-08-2022, 07:46 AM
Last Post: PineFone
  Help to execute script to install arch with FDE user641 5 3,395 07-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Can't update or install software P3TER 31 22,933 02-12-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: IHaveALinuxPhone
  How to install pamac? tk1107 7 5,548 12-30-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: tk1107
  Can't install arch-phosh with dd, only with etcher. pineuser0 5 3,895 11-23-2021, 07:32 PM
Last Post: cabbie001