How to install dependencies for Gajim?
I used "sudo pacman -S gajim" to install Gajim. There are several dependencies listed in the Preferences under Audio/Video that have not been installed. How do I install these dependencies?

An example of an uninstalled dependency is "girl.2-farstream-0.2". I would like to try "pacman" to install it. Can someone give an example command including that dependency?

Thanks.
Code:
sudo pacman -S farstream
Perhaps?
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
is gajim working well for you? I am wanting a good xmpp client for arch phosh.
(12-29-2021, 12:37 PM)user641 Wrote: is gajim working well for you? I am wanting a good xmpp client for arch phosh.

I'm still learning about it, but I can use it for messaging. I use JMP.Chat (VoIP service on XMPP) and used Gajim to dial out to a landline and was able to use the DTMF dial tone pad to navigate the answering service menu and continue the call. I had to rotate the phone to get a wider screen to find the DTMF pad. JMP.Chat can dial out to landlines and cell phones and receive SMS codes and messages. I've been using the Cheogram.apk app on Android as my main phone. Cheogram is based on Conversations.apk. I still have alot to learn about Gajim. I haven't tried an incoming call yet.
(12-29-2021, 01:56 PM)tk1107 Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 12:37 PM)user641 Wrote: is gajim working well for you? I am wanting a good xmpp client for arch phosh.

I'm still learning about it, but I can use it for messaging. I use JMP.Chat (VoIP service on XMPP) and used Gajim to dial out to a landline and was able to use the DTMF dial tone pad to navigate the answering service menu and continue the call. I had to rotate the phone to get a wider screen to find the DTMF pad. JMP.Chat can dial out to landlines and cell phones and receive SMS codes and messages. I've been using the Cheogram.apk app on Android as my main phone. Cheogram is based on Conversations.apk. I still have alot to learn about Gajim. I haven't tried an incoming call yet.

If you need just a basic XMPP messenger that is mobile friendly with PinePhone, then "Dino" has been working well for me.
(12-28-2021, 12:28 AM)ryo Wrote:
Code:
sudo pacman -S farstream
Perhaps?

I reinstalled gajim with "yay" and used yay to install farstream. yay shows other dependencies installed, but gajim is not showing those or farstream to be installed in the preferences window. I saw that there is a gajim "community" edition and a gajim-git version.
(12-31-2021, 06:01 PM)tk1107 Wrote: I reinstalled gajim with "yay" and used yay to install farstream. yay shows other dependencies installed, but gajim is not showing those or farstream to be installed in the preferences window. I saw that there is a gajim "community" edition and a gajim-git version.

It's pretty common to see "versions" like something-bin, something-git, something-whatever too.

If possible, it's best to pick the "vanilla" versions since those are most likely to be up to date and it'll get compiled on your own device (which is why AUR works on ARM), only try the "-git" versions if the regular ones don't work.
The "-bin" ones aren't recommended since they're most likely compiled for x86 processors, and therefore won't run on the PinePhone, although they serve well in case compilation fails on desktops.

For example (this is on desktop by the way), in the case of xmrig I installed the donateless version since they somehow took out the auto donate functionality, or in the case of Veloren (kind of a mix between Minecraft and World of Warcraft, but free (as in both freedom and no money) and open source) I chose veloren-nightly-bin because the regular "veloren" failed to compile while the regular "veloren-bin" is outdated.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-31-2021, 06:32 PM)ryo Wrote:
(12-31-2021, 06:01 PM)tk1107 Wrote: I reinstalled gajim with "yay" and used yay to install farstream. yay shows other dependencies installed, but gajim is not showing those or farstream to be installed in the preferences window. I saw that there is a gajim "community" edition and a gajim-git version.

It's pretty common to see "versions" like something-bin, something-git, something-whatever too.

If possible, it's best to pick the "vanilla" versions since those are most likely to be up to date and it'll get compiled on your own device (which is why AUR works on ARM), only try the "-git" versions if the regular ones don't work.
The "-bin" ones aren't recommended since they're most likely compiled for x86 processors, and therefore won't run on the PinePhone, although they serve well in case compilation fails on desktops.

For example (this is on desktop by the way), in the case of xmrig I installed the donateless version since they somehow took out the auto donate functionality, or in the case of Veloren (kind of a mix between Minecraft and World of Warcraft, but free (as in both freedom and no money) and open source) I chose veloren-nightly-bin because the regular "veloren" failed to compile while the regular "veloren-bin" is outdated.

Ok. I'll watch for that. I have the "Community" version of Gajim installed and that version is very mobile friendly. When I make a telephone call to a landline with it, an additional pane appears that is dedicated to that function alone. That pane has a vertical line on the side that I am able to slide it to show the messaging area or to just move completely over to call area. The call area has the DTMF pad to access the touch tone menus during the call. I just discovered this last night when I was exploring the buttons with my mouse. It is all accessible with a finger touch, too, with no problems and without tilting the phone. Those audio/visual dependencies are still not showing installed in the preferences menu, but I was able to call out. I tried to call in from another phone, but I did not get a response. Maybe those dependencies could help. I was told by someone at JMP.Chat that the Gajim desktop version is working fine.

If anyone has been able to receive calls in Gajim, please let me know. The VoIP call quality is better than the cell towers and all this can be done through a VPN. JMP.Chat is $2.99 a month right now and I have gotten SMS (bank codes, eBay, Amazon, etc) and images.
(01-01-2022, 11:59 AM)tk1107 Wrote: Ok. I'll watch for that. I have the "Community" version of Gajim installed and that version is very mobile friendly. When I make a telephone call to a landline with it, an additional pane appears that is dedicated to that function alone.

Oh, that explains why I can't find the Jingle functionality anywhere despite Wikipedia and the Gajim website both claiming it supports it!
Because there's some other version I wasn't even aware of, that explains it!
Will have to look into it then.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-01-2022, 12:12 PM)ryo Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 11:59 AM)tk1107 Wrote: Ok. I'll watch for that. I have the "Community" version of Gajim installed and that version is very mobile friendly. When I make a telephone call to a landline with it, an additional pane appears that is dedicated to that function alone.

Oh, that explains why I can't find the Jingle functionality anywhere despite Wikipedia and the Gajim website both claiming it supports it!
Because there's some other version I wasn't even aware of, that explains it!
Will have to look into it then.

If you happen to try JMP.Chat and get Gajim incoming calls working on your phone, please let me know. I looked through my packages and it looks like I have the required dependencies. I'm not sure if the preferences pane in Gajim is accurate in showing the dependencies installed or not. I tried the "pamac-manager" command in the terminal and the pamac GUI popped up. I uninstalled Gajim and then reinstalled. The process asked me if I wanted to install optional dependences. I checked and installed all of them. pamac-manager GUI shows ten (10) repositories, too. There is no change in my call issue, though. For Gajim to work properly, all other XMPP clients with your account must be offline. I'll keep looking at it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone AND/OR PinePhone Pro Arch Complete Install and Setup mikehenson 2 2,043 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: shifras
  How to install arch with FDE user641 3 637 01-11-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  unable to install applications dln949 5 1,377 06-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Conjada
  Latest update broke my install user641 8 3,464 02-22-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  new to pacman. Trying to install VIM, getting a 404 when it tries to download. willyray 1 1,085 12-24-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: shulamy
  Waydroid on Arch Linux ARM install guide? tk1107 3 5,454 10-08-2022, 07:46 AM
Last Post: PineFone
  Help to execute script to install arch with FDE user641 5 3,394 07-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Can't update or install software P3TER 31 22,928 02-12-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: IHaveALinuxPhone
  How to install pamac? tk1107 7 5,547 12-30-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: tk1107
  Can't install arch-phosh with dd, only with etcher. pineuser0 5 3,893 11-23-2021, 07:32 PM
Last Post: cabbie001