Keyboard compatability
I just ordered a PINEPHONE - Beta Edition with Convergence Package Linux SmartPhone and I intend to buy a keyboard as soon as they become available.

Will the Manjaro KDE Plasma Mobile software and firmware work with the keyboard or am I likely to encounter problems with the two working together?

Anyone's response to my question will be greatly appreciated.

sandspur
... It is supposed to work,

> My limited testing of Manjaro and KDE Plasma has been VERY Disappointing to date.

It is very painless to flash an sd card and test that in the Pinephone, so it is easy to test other Distributions.

Just a little more effort to flash to your eMMC.

While Manjaro/Plasma may work with the new keyboard, I would not be surprised if it does not...

But .... it is 'Beta' so... don't get upset if it does not, just try another O.S.

... It is likely that one or two operating systems will work with the new keyboard by the time we actually get our hands on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reminder : The Pinephone Pro is said to not be bootable from an sd card...
SO that "Advantage with the Pinephone", .. will be LOST on the double priced Pinephone Pro.!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I DO WISH : Some of the Developers would share their experiences with the new keyboard here on the forum.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Thanks for your post, BCnAZ

Some shared experiences from the keyboard developers would certainly be welcome.

sandspur
(12-04-2021, 09:04 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Reminder :  The Pinephone Pro is said to not be bootable from an sd card...
SO that "Advantage with the Pinephone",  ..  will be LOST on the double priced Pinephone Pro.!
Where did you get that from? This is plain wrong. The PinePhone Pro is bootable from an SD card. For more details you can check out Levinboot.
... From a genuine Pine post.
.... it will not boot from the sd card "as shipped" there was a hint that there 'could be' a work around in the future.

> Yeah, I have been spoiled swapping the sd cards.

I have flashed & tried hundreds of releases via the sd card, started with my Pinebook Pro Laptop, then the Brave Heart phone.....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Damn!
Live SD cards was the best feature since Live USBs, which was the best feature since Live CDs and DVDs.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-06-2021, 06:08 AM)bcnaz Wrote: ... From a genuine Pine post.
....  it will not boot from the sd card "as shipped"  there was a hint that there 'could be' a work around in the future.

Which post? The only mention of running an OS off an SD card I could find in a Pine64 blog post regarding the PinePhone Pro is this one where it says "Firefox opens in under 4 seconds on an OS running from SD card". Also see this and the following posts by megi where he writes about and improves bootloaders.
The RK3399 is perfectly able to boot from an SD card (as you apparently have experienced yourself with the PineBook Pro).
(12-06-2021, 06:28 AM)ryo Wrote: Damn!
Live SD cards was the best feature since Live USBs, which was the best feature since Live CDs and DVDs.

I assume this is related to the same issue on the PineBook Pro with regards to the RK3399 boot process - SPI, eMMC, and then SD. I'm not sure why the included OS image on the eMMC wouldn't have the same code that would check for an SD card and boot from that instead.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone keyboard tones mlnease 10 3,355 04-29-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: mlnease
  Keyboard Remapping? jakfish 1 841 02-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Best OS for Physical Keyboard? jakfish 2 1,154 02-20-2023, 05:45 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  update kills keyboard ludgate 1 1,115 05-18-2022, 12:43 AM
Last Post: programmin
Heart Pinephone compatability in Sweden with Telia and some other thoughts and insights! Lubbvard-tentakel 1 1,254 04-13-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Pinephone keyboard (no, not that one) jhasler 0 882 04-03-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: jhasler
  Selling PinePhone Pro (PPP) with Keyboard Case. almost unused !! ZX Spectrum 3 2,658 02-24-2022, 08:12 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Selling original PinePhone postmarkedOS edition, 3GB RAM, keyboard cover + more ajtakrajta 4 2,752 02-23-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: lot378
  Trying out a few distros and the new keyboard Undvik 3 2,465 01-04-2022, 04:00 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Blutooth Keyboard use gilwood 1 1,908 12-25-2021, 10:20 AM
Last Post: gilwood