Software defined radio SDR
Playing with software defined radio eg RTL-DVB-T USB stick or SDRPlay RSP, Linux or Windows OS
Pine64 would be a great controller for low power SDR application Linux or Android OS
Keen to get ideas or thoughts ??
(01-19-2016, 07:25 PM)phonetic Wrote: Playing with software defined radio eg RTL-DVB-T USB stick or SDRPlay RSP, Linux or Windows OS
Pine64 would be a great controller for low power SDR application Linux or Android OS

I locate in California and not DVB-T signal. If somebody in EU interest to try out, be my guest :-)
(01-19-2016, 08:51 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-19-2016, 07:25 PM)phonetic Wrote: Playing with software defined radio eg RTL-DVB-T USB stick or SDRPlay RSP, Linux or Windows OS

I locate in California and not DVB-T signal. If somebody in EU interest to try out, be my guest :-)

I will try the same rtl-sdr from the RPI2 after I get my PINE A64, hopefully just requires recompiling. 

tllim:
From the rtl-sdr README : http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr
The dongle specific base AFC value can be acquired by listening PSW (pure sine wave) from the local GSM stations.
Then the actual application e.g. feed for the www.flightradar24.com could be started. Works also at U.S.A.
It's definitely capable of handling some of the tasks the RTL-SDR can throw at it. I'm a regular on the ##rtlsdr IRC channel on freenode, and a lot of people use the Odroid C1(+) for it, which the specs of match pretty evenly with the A64. Complex decoding is usually on the Odroid XU3 or XU4 (far more powerful devices, though 7x the cost of the A64), though.

I also have a bet with someone on that IRC channel that the A64 benchmarks better than the C1+. Gotta wait until i get my unit though. Wink
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(01-25-2016, 03:59 PM)BarBrian Wrote:
(01-19-2016, 08:51 PM)tllim Wrote:

I will try the same rtl-sdr from the RPI2 after I get my PINE A64, hopefully just requires recompiling. 

tllim:
From the rtl-sdr README : http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr
The dongle specific base AFC value can be acquired by listening PSW (pure sine wave) from the local GSM stations.
Then the actual application e.g. feed for the www.flightradar24.com could be started. Works also at U.S.A.
Noted and thanks on the information.
(01-25-2016, 05:29 PM)fire219 Wrote: It's definitely capable of handling some of the tasks the RTL-SDR can throw at it. I'm a regular on the ##rtlsdr IRC channel on freenode, and a lot of people use the Odroid C1(+) for it, which the specs of match pretty evenly with the A64. Complex decoding is usually on the Odroid XU3 or XU4 (far more powerful devices, though 7x the cost of the A64), though.

I also have a bet with someone on that IRC channel that the A64 benchmarks better than the C1+. Gotta wait until i get my unit though. Wink

Thanks for the reference. I was looking for a way to get FM data onto an SBC. My first inkling was to use an FM tuner hooked up to an arduino board then getting the audio via a USB sound card to the SBC.

Now I think I can just use one of the cards referenced on the RTL-SDR page to give me audio directly over USB from a tuned FM station.
(02-10-2016, 02:52 PM)pokui Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 05:29 PM)fire219 Wrote: It's definitely capable of handling some of the tasks the RTL-SDR can throw at it. I'm a regular on the ##rtlsdr IRC channel on freenode, and a lot of people use the Odroid C1(+) for it, which the specs of match pretty evenly with the A64. Complex decoding is usually on the Odroid XU3 or XU4 (far more powerful devices, though 7x the cost of the A64), though.

Thanks for the reference. I was looking for a way to get FM data onto an SBC. My first inkling was to use an FM tuner hooked up to an arduino board then getting the audio via a USB sound card to the SBC.

Now I think I can just use one of the cards referenced on the RTL-SDR page to give me audio directly over USB from a tuned FM station.

I installed rtl-sdr (using sudo apt-get rtl-sdr) on my 2MB Pine64 with Debian/Mate image, and was able to stream FM radios over TCP/IP in no time.
Just run on the Pine:
rtl_tcp -a yurIPaddress -s samplerate
(replace yourIPaddress with the IP address of your Pine, and samplerate with your desired sample rate. I found 2048000 works on Ethernet connection, but for WiFi better set to 1024000), then on any networked computer run SDR# or SDR-Console, selecting "RTL-SDR (TCP)" (for SDR#) or "DVB-T dongle" as source, and voila, I can tune and listen to any radio stations that the dongle can tune in.

My current efforts is to have fully GNU Radio, with GNU Radio Companion, runs on Pine, will be posting more details on another thread.

There is http://sdr.hu/openwebrx  OpenWebRx which runs with the RTL-SDR tuner stick right off the bat. This is a server, and we can use an ordinary browser to look at the received signals.

I did get that working on one of the PineA64+ that I have here, and with the sample-rate of 2048000 it covers the 144MHz to 145MHz 2-meter amateur band all at once. Unfortunately the RTL-SDR itself isn't all that sensitive in this frequency range, but I can see my own transmissions at least Rolleyes

(I see there is a reference to a Line In pair of signals on the AllWinner A64 hardware documentation, pads B14 and A14, now those would be really useful for an SDR delivering the In-phase and Quadrature signal to a sound-card. Could access to these be considered in a future revision?)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ham RAdio ChasFred 28 43,047 10-07-2020, 11:25 AM
Last Post: KK4IB
  Ham Radio Repeater rneese 1 3,347 07-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Last Post: ngpacer
  Using software programmable LED as activity light stephen fleming 2 3,946 05-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Last Post: stephen fleming