Incoming SMS not working - Mobian
My incoming SMS stopped working somwhere around the Sep.1-2 nightly builds. My carrier is Bell in Canada. Everything else seems to function flawlessly. Daily driver ready for me if I can get my SMS full capabilities back. Anyone else have this same issue?
(09-05-2020, 04:33 PM)LMalilil Wrote: My incoming SMS stopped working somwhere around the Sep.1-2 nightly builds. My carrier is Bell in Canada. Everything else seems to function flawlessly. Daily driver ready for me if I can get my SMS full capabilities back. Anyone else have this same issue?
Is it a case of https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/89 ? And no need to report your issue in all threads in this forum :-).
Have you tried the latest nightly ?
Which edition of phone are you using ?
With a very recent release of Mobian, my Brave Heart phone would not open the text app after a fresh boot. But
It worked normal after receiving an incoming text.
While my new PMOS phone had no problem with the same nightly release.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Good morning,

I had the same issue . SMS came back with the nightly build of sep 04th . Does this only happen while on LTE ? 

Try that one.
It was the modem being plugged up with mms like spaetz said. Followed the gitlab instructions and had sms incoming again immediately. I didn't have to reset the modem either.
(09-05-2020, 04:48 PM)spaetz Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 04:33 PM)LMalilil Wrote: My incoming SMS stopped working somwhere around the Sep.1-2 nightly builds. My carrier is Bell in Canada. Everything else seems to function flawlessly. Daily driver ready for me if I can get my SMS full capabilities back. Anyone else have this same issue?
Is it a case of https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/89 ? And no need to report your issue in all threads in this forum :-).
Thank you, spaetz, for the link. Up until this time I had thought it was strictly nightly build related, but today it happened again, BEFORE today's update, I stopped receiving incoming sms. I followed the instructions, (and by the way, there's a 0 missing after the modem (0) in the mmcli --modem 0 -r) and looked at each message. Sure enough, my sms number 4 's content said "data" and was like a page of SSL key. I deleted that sms and a few others and the incoming messages started to trickle in.
A GUI user fix :
install 'Modem Manager' then remove the 'un-recognized' text messages.
I did this and I still received all of the blocked sms messages after cleaning the modem.
Just did a restart and all of the previous regular text messages poured in.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I'm still stuck with not being able to receive sms, but I can send them. This has been going on for a month now and I can't figure it out. What I have tried:

- Clearing the sms list using mmcli as mentioned in the above threads. I have no sms left on the modem at all
- Completely re-installed the OS
- Checking the journalctl logs for any information when I know someone sent me a sms. I can see the logs when I send an sms, but nothing at all when I should be recieving them
- Checked the access points to one that should be receiving messages. I am on Verizion for a carrier and on the "vzwinternet" access point

I'm out of ideas so if anyone else has anything else I should be looking at to be able to receive sms again please let me know.
(10-06-2020, 11:08 PM)jjs Wrote: I'm still stuck with not being able to receive sms, but I can send them. This has been going on for a month now and I can't figure it out. What I have tried:

- Clearing the sms list using mmcli as mentioned in the above threads. I have no sms left on the modem at all
- Completely re-installed the OS
- Checking the journalctl logs for any information when  I know someone sent me a sms. I can see the logs when I send an sms, but nothing at all when I should be recieving them
- Checked the access points to one that should be receiving messages. I am on Verizion for a carrier and on the "vzwinternet" access point

I'm out of ideas so if anyone else has anything else I should be looking at to be able to receive sms again please let me know.

Need to clean the MMS messages from the modem cache

The modem can not process the MMS messages.
   The SMS messages should resume after that.

You do not need the APN for SMS texts.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I was able to fix it by completly re-installing the OS and then during an update messages came pouring it. So i'm guess when something was updated it knocked something lose. Like you said maybe it was a cache issue. But I'm wondering how do you clean the MMS from the modem cache? I don't see anything in the mmcli documentation that specifies mms vs sms.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,717 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Exclamation The internal speaker stops working anonymous 6 813 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton