Mobian upgrade path
Hey group,

Switched my CE over to Mobian and i'm quite impressed by Phosh and by the Mobian underpinnings so well done. 

Quick question, if I install the nightly and run an apt upgrade, will this pull down the latest changes upstream from the mobian project? Or will it just upgrade the base Bullseye packages? Are there repos set up for Mobian yet is essentially my question.

Thanks!
Yes Mobian repo are set by default.
Priorities also,
Mobian repo has a higher priority than Debian ones.
When a package is fully upstream to Debian and removed from Mobian repo, user don't have to do anything.
Patrick I'm in the same place you are.

You might want to follow the instructions here to get the signing key for the Mobian repo
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10277

I agree completely- Mobian is really impressive- I've been distrohopping quite a bit to see where the projects are at and Mobian is awesome- y'all have done a great job.
Awesome stuff! I can see that posts references that this would be included in the next nightly release so is it required on one flash yesterday?

I'll give it a try regardless and see if the extrarepo package is already there, if not this will probably result in me moving Mobian from my SD over to the internal storage!
(06-29-2020, 06:37 AM)patrickjquinn Wrote: Awesome stuff! I can see that posts references that this would be included in the next nightly release so is it required on one flash yesterday?

I'll give it a try regardless and see if the extrarepo package is already there, if not this will probably result in me moving Mobian from my SD over to the internal storage!

Is the benefit to moving Mobian from the SD to EMMC speed? I've been thinking about doing it but don't want to potentially brick anything.
@0x070 Yes, the benefit of eMMC over SD is the speed. Some people have reported a speedup of up to factor 5.
Personally I have not done any testing, but it definitely feels snappier.
Factor of 5 is a big jump. Guess its also dependant on what class of SD you're using but I can only imagine that it makes a big difference app load times. Will make the leap today and then switch my SD over to UBPorts so I don't lose out on the great progress being made there Smile
I moved from the sdcard to the internal emmc. I agree the system feels snappier.
Doing so also allowed to keep a backup sdcard copy of the emmc whenever I make a significant change to the system. Also having another card available for extra storage is nice. With the extra storage available via the sdcard I also allotted a 2 gb partition on the sdcard for a swap partition and changed the system swappiness value to 10. This made another significant jump in feeling snappier. I did this through ssh via parted, then mkfs.ext4 (for storage) and mkswap, then blkid >> /etc/fstab and edit the added lines for fstab. (to save copying the UUID values), finally added "vm.swappiness=10" to the /etc/sysctl.conf file and rebooted.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,714 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,688 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,365 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy