PineTab options and accessories
(06-19-2020, 03:32 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 03:30 PM)Dmytro Wrote: Do I miss something or PT has no Wifi at all? Huh

They have wifi. lol that would be pretty wild, selling a tablet without wifi

Pinetab has both Wifi and Bluetooth, using same one as Pinephone and Pinebook.
(06-17-2020, 03:55 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 10:44 PM)tllim Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 06:22 AM)Lex-2008 Wrote: On https://www.pine64.org/pinetab/ they say:
Quote:Multiple expansion boards for LTE, LoRa and SATA SSD
So to answer your first two questions, I believe there will be SSD and phone boards, but dunno when. Also note that somewhere I've read that it won't be possible to use both SSD and modem at the same time. However PineTab has a USB 2.0 port, so via a usb-hub you can attach USB modems, SSD bridges, and other Linux-compatible hardware. Performance will suffer, ofc (since all of it will be working via a single USB 2.0 connection), but oh well.

To answer your last question - I dunno, but I think that likely not before August - when this batch will be shipped.
Your LTE/SATA SSD option expansion board assumption is correct :-)

Prefer more testing to get ready instead of rush out. Most expansion boards should be ready when second batch PineTab ready for pre-order.
So now I'm confused. I've seen one post saying the LTE expansion board will be included with the first batch, and now this one saying it will come at a later date. I'd be happy to get the version with just LTE and SSD option coming in the one I ordered if possible. I can always order the one with LoRa and RTL-SDR later. Is that possible?

LTE expansion board NOT included with Pinetab order. Please noted that you can only installed one of the three expansion board due to space and port limitation.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/pinetab/

From the site above: What's interesting about the PineTab is that they are advertising that they are working on expansion options, with one expansion module being an RTL-SDR.

Is that true and if so where can I read official source of the statement?

Edit: I should read provided links better...

https://www.pine64.org/2020/05/15/may-up...ging-more/

[*]PineTab adapters for individual and industry users; LTE, SSD, LoRa and RTL-SDR available soon...
(06-22-2020, 08:34 AM)Lister Wrote: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/pinetab/

That page links to blog post which, among other things, says (Ctrl+F for RTL):
Quote:
  • PineTab adapters for individual and industry users; LTE, SSD, LoRa and RTL-SDR available soon
That's the most official I was able to find.

However also note:
Quote:Implementations of the LoRa and RTL-SDR modules into existing OSes will, as always, depend on developers from the different partner-projects
so it's not guaranteed to work out-of-the-box until someone properly adapts software.
(06-22-2020, 08:42 AM)Lex-2008 Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 08:34 AM)Lister Wrote: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/pinetab/

That page links to blog post which, among other things, says (Ctrl+F for RTL):
Quote:
  • PineTab adapters for individual and industry users; LTE, SSD, LoRa and RTL-SDR available soon
That's the most official I was able to find.

However also note:
Quote:Implementations of the LoRa and RTL-SDR modules into existing OSes will, as always, depend on developers from the different partner-projects
so it's not guaranteed to work out-of-the-box until someone properly adapts software.

I found the information just after posting the question (hence the edit part just after posting the question). Sometimes I should read more carefully...  Smile
Sorry, didn't see your edit  Smile Received email notification and rushed to answer  Big Grin
(06-22-2020, 09:56 AM)Lex-2008 Wrote: Sorry, didn't see your edit  Smile Received email notification and rushed to answer  Big Grin

I mean a prompt reply is nothing to sneeze at. So no need to apologize... Smile
(06-15-2020, 06:22 AM)Lex-2008 Wrote: However PineTab has a USB 2.0 port, so via a usb-hub you can attach USB modems, SSD bridges, and other Linux-compatible hardware.

Is this the best way to add GPS (receiver only) functionality to the PineTab.  One of my biggest use cases would be walking around with the PineTab and looking at maps on OpenStreetMap (not sure which app - I'd love to get OSMand, but I don't know how many are using this on Linux yet).

If it is the best way - is there a list of compatible USB based GPS devices yet?  Any idea what this means to the power draw or runtime of the PineTab?
I believe the expansion port is the same or similar to the Pinebook Pro, it is a single PCIe port .

So you will pick 'which' accessory to add to your PineTab.

I would pick the cellular option, as I think the PineTab would make a great phone.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Production has been temporarily been suspended on the laptops and the tablets due to a shortage of quality screens ...

> > Posted else where in the forum

But maybe some of the Nice options will be available by the time they do resume production ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not able to power on PineTab anymore zkajdan 3 355 12-26-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: FortunateFowl
Question Will Pinetab 2 spare parts be available? vatin 6 1,401 12-09-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: tllim
  ?brighter screen replacement for pinetab (>1600 nits) dynobang 0 486 09-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: dynobang
  [Tutorial] How to overclock Pinetab 2 Darth-Apple 0 730 09-25-2023, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  External Reset button on PineTab V? michaelengel 0 480 09-18-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: michaelengel
  Pinetab 2 screen no longer coming on Fibonacci 9 2,707 06-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Purple_Illusion
  Pinetab completely bricked Saksmito 8 2,390 06-10-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: fxc
  What RISC-V chip will the PineTab-V use? msm 2 1,572 04-05-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: msm
Big Grin Howto: Pinetab Screen Replacements (+ Pictures) RTP 5 6,208 02-10-2022, 08:31 PM
Last Post: barray
  Offer: PineTab with keyboard firefox-58 3 4,567 09-27-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: stmguard