PINE64
Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting Started (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 (/showthread.php?tid=787)

Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - g3tinmybelly - 04-26-2016

Hi guys,

The title pretty much describes my situation that I am currently in. I don't know what to do and have been looking online for a while now and I can't seem to figure out the cause of my problem. Has anyone tried to use the edimax wifi dongle on their Pine64 yet and if so did you get it to work?

RE: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - rahlquist - 04-26-2016

(04-26-2016, 01:54 PM)g3tinmybelly Wrote: Hi guys,

The title pretty much describes my situation that I am currently in. I don't know what to do and have been looking online for a while now and I can't seem to figure out the cause of my problem. Has anyone tried to use the edimax wifi dongle on their Pine64 yet and if so did you get it to work?

The problem is the current Kernel does not have a lot of drivers/modules built in at this time. Simple as that. If you are running one of the linux OS's install whatever package you need to get lsusb and issue that command, it should identify more specifically the wifi chip involved. Needed I am afraid because even big wifi adapter manufs from time to time will change which wifi chip is in a wifi dongle of the same model number (stupid I know). 

Post back the info here and maybe someone can help get it working.

RE: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - g3tinmybelly - 04-26-2016

So will it one day be supported?

RE: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - rahlquist - 04-27-2016

(04-26-2016, 10:12 PM)g3tinmybelly Wrote: So will it one day be supported?

No clue, maybe, maybe not. 

I have been lazy myself and not tried other than cursory playing to try to get the wifi adapters I have around working. To be honest the pine folks  are really only obligated to support their own wifi card. Beyond that you're at the mercy of Allwinner and/or the devs who are working with linux and Pine. 

Of course I have seen at least one person say they have compiled their own kernel based on longsleep's instructions ( http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=293&highlight=compile ) you could always find out what modules and drivers you will need and try to roll your own.

RE: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - Luke - 04-27-2016

I tried 2 different ones - nothing seems to works atm. I am sceptical if we will see support for wifi dongles anytime soon ...

RE: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - longsleep - 04-27-2016

Without telling what device this is it is hard to say. I guess it is one that requires rt8192cu driver which is not supported by the BSP Kernel. It can be backported though. Feel free to open up a PR on GitHub. The rt8192cu driver would be nice to have.

RE: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - rahlquist - 04-27-2016

(04-27-2016, 01:16 PM)longsleep Wrote: Without telling what device this is it is hard to say. I guess it is one that requires rt8192cu driver which is not supported by the BSP Kernel. It can be backported though. Feel free to open up a PR on GitHub. The rt8192cu driver would be nice to have.

So is one wanted the Atheros ath9k_htc added a pull request would be sufficient?

RE: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - longsleep - 04-27-2016

Yes, but i am looking into it already. I can see that some common and often used wifi modules should be there.

(04-27-2016, 04:02 PM)longsleep Wrote: Yes, but i am looking into it already. I can see that some common and often used wifi modules should be there.
You really do need a tip jar.

RE: Unable to get edimax wifi dongle to work with archlinux on Pine64 - g3tinmybelly - 04-27-2016

(04-27-2016, 01:16 PM)longsleep Wrote: Without telling what device this is it is hard to say. I guess it is one that requires rt8192cu driver which is not supported by the BSP Kernel. It can be backported though. Feel free to open up a PR on GitHub. The rt8192cu driver would be nice to have.

Yeah, it's the one that requires rt8192cu driver. I think I will open up a PR on github. Good idea!