PINE64
Pine64 cannot boot - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Pine64 cannot boot (/showthread.php?tid=4390)

Pine64 cannot boot - jamiechang917 - 03-23-2017

My Pine64+(2GB) cannot boot with any linux image,but it can boot with android image,I use 5V2.5A power supply unit and 30 cm usb cable.

RE: Pine64 cannot boot - xalius - 03-23-2017

If it boots and runs Android images it should also run Linux images no problem, which image did you try?

RE: Pine64 cannot boot - jamiechang917 - 03-23-2017

Ubuntu 16.04 with Xfce DE and armbian,it can boot but not successful every time.All I get is a steady red LED and its Ethernet doesn't work.

RE: Pine64 cannot boot - pfeerick - 03-23-2017

(03-23-2017, 10:32 PM)jamiechang917 Wrote: Ubuntu 16.04 with Xfce DE and armbian,it can boot but not successful every time.All I get is a steady red LED and its Ethernet doesn't work.

If your board is powering on (red light), but the ethernet lights aren't showing signs of life after 20-30 seconds, it's probably worth looking at the power supply setup. See if you can use a good quality short USB lead. Try a different 5v power supply with at least a 2A rating (more is fine). If you feel up to it, try powering the pine64 via the euler connector (look at the pinout link in my signature) so we can eliminate the microUSB cable and connector as being an issue.

RE: Pine64 cannot boot - jamiechang917 - 03-24-2017

(03-23-2017, 11:14 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(03-23-2017, 10:32 PM)jamiechang917 Wrote: Ubuntu 16.04 with Xfce DE and armbian,it can boot but not successful every time.All I get is a steady red LED and its Ethernet doesn't work.

If your board is powering on (red light), but the ethernet lights aren't showing signs of life after 20-30 seconds, it's probably worth looking at the power supply setup. See if you can use a good quality short USB lead. Try a different 5v power supply with at least a 2A rating (more is fine). If you feel up to it, try powering the pine64 via the euler connector (look at the pinout link in my signature) so we can eliminate the microUSB cable and connector as being an issue.

Thanks,I'll give it a try.

RE: Pine64 cannot boot - Dagremote - 04-16-2017

New guy here, but having a similar issue when booting or rebooting with an external hard drive attached. Boots ok without the drive. I disconnect the external drive and give the Pine a 20 second head start, then plug in the drive. The external drive has a seperate power supply and is spinning at all times.

You didn't mention if in fact you had anything plugged into the USB's. As mentioned above, my issue was a hard drive, but in theory, it could be anything ... even a keybaord, or mouse, exthernet cable, maybe even an HDMI monitor.

I'm too new to the product to know what the general consensus is on booting with anything attached.

W.

RE: Pine64 cannot boot - pfeerick - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 09:50 AM)Dagremote Wrote: I'm too new to the product to know what the general consensus is on booting with anything attached.

Well, that suggests that powering the drive at least shouldn't be an issue, since it has it's own power supply. I often had a USB keyboard/mouse receiver plugged in when booting + HDMI when working on a pine64 prior to making it headless or when testing android / linux GUI stuff. Didn't have any boot hiccups that I would blame on them. I've had USB flash drives plugged in, but I can't be certain they were connected during a reboot or cold start. If you could plug in a 3.3v serial UART into the EXP header (pinout in my signature) you'd be able to capture the startup logs, and maybe get some idea as to why it's failing to boot... maybe there is some interaction during the bootup process that breaks things...