PINE64
Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+--- Thread: Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS (/showthread.php?tid=17165)

Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS - u974615 - 08-17-2022

Is anyone else having issues updating the Pinebook Pro Manjaro ARM GNOME 22.06 image?

I attempted to update the system on SD card (and internal eMMC) via "Add/Remove Software" (pmac?).  It locks up at "Checking Integrity...".  Then after shutting down, the OS won't boot.

RE: Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS - creeker99 - 08-18-2022

I have also been having that issue, but I haven't been able to find out what is causing it. It appears it's an issue with the Gnome version, as I flashed the Plasma version to the same card and it works just fine.
I believe the reason it won't boot is because it moves quite a few of the essential files before beginning the upgrade. If I try to open any application before powering it off, such as settings or the terminal, it gives me a message saying the application isn't found.

RE: Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS - u974615 - 08-18-2022

(08-18-2022, 01:32 PM)creeker99 Wrote: I have also been having that issue, but I haven't been able to find out what is causing it. It appears it's an issue with the Gnome version, as I flashed the Plasma version to the same card and it works just fine.
I believe the reason it won't boot is because it moves quite a few of the essential files before beginning the upgrade. If I try to open any application before powering it off, such as settings or the terminal, it gives me a message saying the application isn't found.

I had the same issue.  It is as if the OS only exits in memory...  I thought it was because I killed the /usr/bin/pamac-manager --gapplication-serivice after the lock on "Checking Integrity..."

RE: Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS - u974615 - 08-18-2022

What I can gather it pamac takes a VERY LONG time when checking package integrity...

"sudo pacman -Scc"
"sudo pacman -Syyuu"
might work...I broke the OS image again...will test later

RE: Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS - creeker99 - 08-19-2022

I may have to just let it sit as well, although I left it for a half hour at one point. I've got Armbian Gnome working well at the moment, so I may just use that for a while. I'm more familiar with Debian based distros anyway, but I was hoping to try something new as usual!

RE: Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS - u974615 - 08-21-2022

Probably the best idea. I assume the Manjaro-ARM-GNOME Pinebook Pro community is very small.
It might be the case that the image is so unstable that one shouldn't update between releases.

I tried the pacman -Syyuu update command and the Pinebook Pro randomly froze in the downloading of packages, so I am going to forget about this.