PINE64
Activating a SIM on Pinephone - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: Activating a SIM on Pinephone (/showthread.php?tid=16513)

Activating a SIM on Pinephone - jhasler - 04-17-2022

Has anyone been able to activate a Tracfone or US Mobile SIM on the Pinephone and be able to make calls?  I have activated cards from both on my Pinephone and it seemed to go well but I can not make usable connections (calls usually do not connect at all) and the phone will not stay registered.

Do I have to get another SIM and activate it on a different phone?  That seems to be what most do.

RE: Activating a SIM on Pinephone - dxvargas - 04-17-2022

I can't use any SIM in my Pinephone, I came here to also look for help.
It just doesn't detect the SIM card, it's as if it was not there.
I've tried with 3 SIM cards, all activated.

RE: Activating a SIM on Pinephone - jhasler - 04-18-2022

(04-17-2022, 05:23 PM)dxvargas Wrote: I can't use any SIM in my Pinephone, I came here to also look for help.
It just doesn't detect the SIM card, it's as if it was not there.
I've tried with 3 SIM cards, all activated.

That sounds like defective hardware.

RE: Activating a SIM on Pinephone - jhasler - 04-18-2022

(04-17-2022, 02:24 PM)jhasler Wrote: Has anyone been able to activate a Tracfone or US Mobile SIM on the Pinephone and be able to make calls?  I have activated cards from both on my Pinephone and it seemed to go well but I can not make usable connections (calls usually do not connect at all) and the phone will not stay registered.

Do I have to get another SIM and activate it on a different phone?  That seems to be what most do.

I got a SIM from Ting.  Checked compatibility: good.  Activated: successful.  Result: same behavior as with Tracfone and US Mobile.  Data somtimes works.  Calls sometimes complete but sound is always delayed and interrupted and the calls always terminate after varying lengths of time (usually just a few seconds but someimes several minutes).

Has anyone else successfully activated a Tracfone, US Mobile, or Ting SIM in the Pinephone and then had telephony work?

Typical ModemManager log entries:

<info>  [modem0] state changed (registered -> searching)
<warn>  [modem0] couldn't load operator code: Current operator MCC/MNC is still unknown
<warn>  [modem0] couldn't load operator name: Current operator id is still unknown
<info>  [modem0] 3GPP registration state changed (searching -> idle)
<info>  [modem0] state changed (searching -> enabled)
<info>  [modem0] 3GPP registration state changed (idle -> unknown)
<warn>  [modem0] couldn't load operator code: Current operator MCC/MNC is still unknown
<warn>  [modem0] couldn't load operator name: Current operator id is still unknown
<info>  [modem0] 3GPP registration state changed (unknown -> idle)
<info>  [modem0] 3GPP registration state changed (idle -> registering)
<info>  [modem0] 3GPP registration state changed (registering -> home)
<info>  [modem0] state changed (enabled -> registered)

RE: Activating a SIM on Pinephone - joe_w - 06-18-2022

I successfully used a Tracfone sim (ATT network) with a PP. Started using it a couple of years ago. Just moved it from my prior phone to the PP. Was problematic until upgraded to Biktorgi's firmware. After that it worked flawlessly, until today. Have a cell network registration issue that I have just started investigating.

RE: Activating a SIM on Pinephone - joe_w - 06-26-2022

(06-18-2022, 10:54 AM)joe_w Wrote: I successfully used a Tracfone sim (ATT network) with a PP.  Started using it a couple of years ago.  Just moved it from my prior phone to the PP.  Was problematic until upgraded to Biktorgi's firmware.  After that it worked flawlessly, until today.  Have a cell network registration issue that I have just started investigating.

Issue turned out to be tracfone's att mvno.  bought their bring your own phone sim kit ($1.00) and installed a t-mobile mvno sim card.  pinephone is now working normally.