PINE64
3 Boards, only one boots - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: ROCKPRO64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=99)
+--- Thread: 3 Boards, only one boots (/showthread.php?tid=14736)

3 Boards, only one boots - timinal - 08-23-2021

I just received a series of RP64 units from AmeriDroid.

I placed one into the NAS case with Armbian on a 32GB eMMC chip.  Boots properly and finalizes the install.  Ran through updates and all seems well.

Moved the eMMC chip to the second board - nothing but the green power LED on power up.

Moved the eMMC chip to the third board - nothing but the green power LED on power up.

I've attempted the POWER-RESET gambit on both non-booting boards.

I've returned the eMMC chip to the first board and all is fine.

Removed the boards from the NAS enclosures, same result.

Burned a 32GB µSD card with the same Armbian image and jumpered the eMMC disable jumper

Still power LED, but nothing else.

Are there some bad boards out there?

RE: 3 Boards, only one boots - LMM - 08-25-2021

Hi timinal and welcome to the forum,
   thist behaviour is very strange indeed. Basically there is no problem moving the chip from a card to another. The only difference may come from the spi flash of the board,which should not affect the boot itself. But I suppose you did not flash them except eventually for the nas. You could eventually check with an UART if the boot process properly occurs.
LMM

RE: 3 Boards, only one boots - MattDralle - 10-14-2021

I have exactly the same problem with two brand new Pine64 boards.  I note also, that the USB ports don't power up either, the LED mouse doesn't light up.

Help, this is frustrating.  How could I have two bad boards??

Thanks,

Matt Dralle

RE: 3 Boards, only one boots - toboggan - 02-06-2022

I ordered a "Rockpro64 v2.1 2018-07-02" board and recommended power supply in December 2021 and it has never booted.  I am seeing the same symptoms:
* Green power LED lights.
* RJ45 jack LEDs light, one green, one orange.
* No other LED lights up.
* No power enabled on any USB port.

There is no activity on the serial port UART2_TX as observed by a USB to 3.3V TTL adapter and minicom:
$ /usr/bin/minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 1500000

Additionally I have watched UART2_TX (expansion port pin 8) with an oscilloscope and there is no activity.  The output is steadily high, except while holding the reset button when it is steadily low.

UART2_RX is unconnected.

I have tried Armbian, DietPi, Manjaro, and Open Media Vault.  I am writing the SD card like this:
$ sudo dd if=Armbian_21.08.1_Rockpro64_focal_current_5.10.60.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M

I have tried booting with and without expansion port pins 23 and 25 shorted to disable the SPI boot.

Is there anything else to try, or should I get an RMA? 
Thank you for your help.
Greg.

RE: 3 Boards, only one boots - Rocklobster - 02-06-2022

Other than trying an alternative power supply it sounds like a faulty board. If you have an alternative power supply try that, otherwise I'd return the faulty board.