PINE64
first notes - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PineNote (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=171)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PineNote (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=172)
+--- Thread: first notes (/showthread.php?tid=14664)

Pages: 1 2

first notes - vinnie - 08-15-2021

I must confess that I write mostly to be the first to write.

However, I already have a similar device and I like the idea.

The only thing I want to say is that it's important that once it's put on sale it already works distinctly because with that price, unsatisfied people would become harassed.

From my side, on paper it all looks great, probably already the best specs available in the market for this kind of device.
I hope you will also focus on the sleep of the hardware, because one important thing about ebook readers is that they last a long time when used only for reading.

RE: first notes - barray - 08-15-2021

(08-15-2021, 01:49 PM)vinnie Wrote: The only thing I want to say is that it's important that once it's put on sale it already works distinctly because with that price, unsatisfied people would become harassed.

I agree with this sentiment - $400 is not so much a small purchase any more and there are expectations with such a price.

RE: first notes - lot378 - 08-15-2021

The August blog was updated after the rush of "take my money" comments to say the first PineNotes will be for writing code on and writing notes will not be possible until software is developed and that will probably be months later (see PinePhone, for example). Need to set expectations correctly. PineNote is probably not for me anyway - I like a RocketBook for note taking.

RE: first notes - quantumjelly - 08-16-2021

The new notice didn't discourage me in the slightest, actually it encourages me to buy it, might be the push I need to start working on this kind of applications.

My only question is when will it become available? I'm pretty sure the stock will go out very fast, even with notices and incomplete software, and I don't want to miss it

RE: first notes - Gribouille - 08-18-2021

(08-15-2021, 09:56 PM)barray Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 01:49 PM)vinnie Wrote: The only thing I want to say is that it's important that once it's put on sale it already works distinctly because with that price, unsatisfied people would become harassed.

I agree with this sentiment - $400 is not so much a small purchase any more and there are expectations with such a price.

+1

The main risk is to make an error on the presentation of the product.

If 'Note' is the aim, the user could take notes. 
'Notes' ? Only on a blank page or a document too ? 
On a document, this is 'annotation' ? What's the document's format ? TXT ? Epub ? PDF ? MOBI ? … ?
If there is a document, what's is the viewer ?
Like the Onyx Max…, the annotations could be done on the text or in a dedicated sheet ?

This only an example of questions to identify the function of the device and to avoid a misunderstanding.

RE: first notes - quantumjelly - 08-18-2021

(08-18-2021, 04:35 AM)Gribouille Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 09:56 PM)barray Wrote:

+1

The main risk is to make an error on the presentation of the product.

If 'Note' is the aim, the user could take notes. 
'Notes' ? Only on a blank page or a document too ? 
On a document, this is 'annotation' ? What's the document's format ? TXT ? Epub ? PDF ? MOBI ? … ?
If there is a document, what's is the viewer ?
Like the Onyx Max…, the annotations could be done on the text or in a dedicated sheet ?

This only an example of questions to identify the function of the device and to avoid a misunderstanding.

I think that the disclaimer handles that well enough, they warned that the device may not even have bootable software day 1. When it's listed add in bold "THIS IS NOT AN IPAD, IT's A DEVELOPMENT DEVICE".
Maybe even sell the thing disassembled as well, anyone who thinks they'll get the note features of an iPad day 1 should get the point pretty quick (half joking half serious Big Grin)

RE: first notes - jiyong - 08-20-2021

Even with fully working software it's still not comparable with tablets with a LCD or OLED screen.
E-ink is for low power consumption screens and is not suitable for video.
Compared to a "regular" tablet the screen will be sluggish, but it wins with less eye strain and low power consumption.

RE: first notes - undo - 08-21-2021

This device is going to be the bomb! Not for most people, probably, but for me it will.

I spend a lot of time outdoors and so far there are only two things that can be done with digital devices outdoors: Listen to podcasts and read books with an e-reader. Now, if I have an open source device with a regular size keyboard and an e-ink display, this is as big a change to my routines as getting a laptop instead of a desktop back in the days. With a laptop you could choose the room you work in but now you will not be confined indoors anymore.

I am actually more excited about PineNote than I was about PinePhone, since the software is more ready to turn the PineNote into a functional laptop compared to what it was with the software when PinePhone was coming out.

I guess if I would offer any advice, or make a wish, it would be to sell a keyboard in the same package to justify the higher prize and make the device more usable out of the box even if some of the more fancy features don't work immediately or within a couple of years, as it was with PinePhone.

RE: first notes - jiyong - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 09:45 AM)undo Wrote: [...]
I guess if I would offer any advice, or make a wish, it would be to sell a keyboard in the same package to justify the higher prize and make the device more usable out of the box even if some of the more fancy features don't work immediately or within a couple of years, as it was with PinePhone.

I don't think the price needs to be justified.
Good E-Reader claimed the PineNote is the same as the BigMe B1.
The BigMe has colour and can connect through 4G, but it also costs $1,199!
Compared to that, I don't think the PineNote is expensive.

RE: first notes - undo - 08-22-2021

I am comparing it to how cheap PineBook and PinePhone are. And if talking about e-reader / notetaking devices I was thinking reMarkable 2 which I have thought about buying before. I think it's about 400$ but already a polished product. I have no idea how the hardware compares, btw. I am only thinking about use cases when comparing these. By adding a keyboard you are selling a bigger use case.