PINE64
Finally... The touchpad works great! - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Finally... The touchpad works great! (/showthread.php?tid=14531)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - alexeymin - 07-28-2021

This firmware feels a lot better, thanks!

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - bhboyle - 07-28-2021

That is much better.  I have not used my Pinebook Pro for almost a year since I found the touchpad to difficult to use.  Would someone be able to point me to a how to for setting natural scrolling in Manjaro. I have found that nothing works. The howto in the forum here does not work as there is no Natural Scrolling property for the touchpad.

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - jack1 - 07-28-2021

i hope for an improvement for pinephone too...

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - KC9UDX - 07-28-2021

(07-28-2021, 05:00 PM)kirfkin Wrote: Has anyone noted if this stops the random jumps (typically to the bottom left)? If so, it ends my last major frustration with the Pinebook Pro.

That's a problem I haven't encountered.  Huh

It sure seems to fix the main hysteresis problem.  Sadly it won't update from NetBSD anymore.  At least not on my installation.

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - moonwalkers - 07-28-2021

Yet to see whether it prevents touchpad from starting to behave erratic until machine is rebooted, but yes, definitely an improvement. Though I wouldn't call it perfect just yet.

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - siemsenit - 07-29-2021

(07-28-2021, 09:08 AM)dsimic Wrote: We already know that some Pinebook Pros came with the "lite" version of the keyboard controller IC, SH61F83, which is limited to a total of eight writes, according to the datasheet.  However, Pine64 has already contacted the keyboard manufacturer and they've assured Pine64 that SH61F83 is actually the same IC as the "full-fat" version, SH68F83, and that it supports many write cycles.  However, if your Pinebook Pro came with a SH61F83, I'd recommed that you wait until I verify those claims; my first-batch ISO Pinebook Pro came with the "lite" IC and I'll test it out by performing about 50 to 100 write cycles.

I would not know where to look wich IC it is in my machine; however, mine is a 128GB version from 2019, within the first 1000 units, when I recall correctly.
Have not use my PBP in a long time because of the touchpad frustration, so I tried it anyway.

The update went fine and i do love my "new" Pinebook Pro very much now  Smile

Touchpad response time, speed, Gestures, everything much improved and actually usable now.
Thanks a lot!

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - peanutman - 07-29-2021

So much better. Don't forget that you can also customise the settings to tweak it even further (e.g. reduce two-finger scroll speed, or decrease tap-to-click delay)!
I did this via the Manjaro settings tool.

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - peanutman - 07-29-2021

(07-28-2021, 06:06 PM)bhboyle Wrote: That is much better.  I have not used my Pinebook Pro for almost a year since I found the touchpad to difficult to use.  Would someone be able to point me to a how to for setting natural scrolling in Manjaro. I have found that nothing works. The howto in the forum here does not work as there is no Natural Scrolling property for the touchpad.

If by "Natural Scrolling" you mean inverse scroll direction (like macbooks), then you can find the "invert scroll direction" option in the UI trackpad settings in Manjaro.

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - KC9UDX - 07-29-2021

Such an occasion that even the Peanut Vendor has arrived. Smile

RE: Finally... The touchpad works great! - slyecho - 07-29-2021

Previously I was using jackhumbert's firmware, so that's the reason I was confident to upgrade because I see this one was forked from that version.

Did the update. I executed the commands over SSH (using a USB net device). The OS sees this as a new device so I had to set it up again (natural scrolling, tap to click).

The touchpad itself is working really well, it seems more accurate and I can do pixel-perfect movements. Srolling in Chromium feels almost like on a phone screen. But it also seems more sensitive to light touches, so it sometimes jumps around unexpectedly and also phantom clicks (because of tap to click). I guess I just have to relearn to use it.

At first I didn't upload the new keymap, this gave me some weird behaviour like not being able to disable numlock, after the third update command it now seems working.

I have the ANSI keyboard version.