PINE64
Pinephone - broken power button - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Hardware (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+--- Thread: Pinephone - broken power button (/showthread.php?tid=13405)

Pages: 1 2

Pinephone - broken power button - rorus - 03-16-2021

So, I have been using my Pinephone, in a wallet case not designed for it, on a temporary basis. Was working well, but had to pop the Pinephone out of the case to press the power button.

Suddenly, a very soft "ping". The little dish-shaped aluminium plate came off the power button, revealing the two contacts (the inner copper dot and outer copper ring).

Power button still works if I short across the contacts with a conductive object.

Fixing the little aluminium plate back in place with a touch of cyanoacrylate glue did not restore the power button's function, had to remove it again.

Spoke to a friend we all call "MacGyver", he doesn't like even his chances of repairing a little momentary power button, says he's succeeded twice on about fifty devices attempted.

I need a replacement power button for the Pinephone. I've searched the datasheets and component list hoping for a component ID for the little momentary power button, but it only lists the larger modules.

Does anyone know what a suitable replacement button would be? Digikey component number or a link to eBay / Aliexpress would be most welcome!

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - dukla2000 - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 02:58 AM)rorus Wrote: ...
I need a replacement power button for the Pinephone. I've searched the datasheets and component list hoping for a component ID for the little momentary power button, but it only lists the larger modules.

I guess what you need is 1 of these.

Sadly (but realistically - I realise P&P costs despite what fleabay would have me believe!) the P&P far outweighs the cost of the item though. If you are in the UK then there are some little bits I have been thinking of and could share the P&P?

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - C0ffeeFreak - 03-16-2021

Are we talking about this? https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-side-keys-flex-pcb/?v=0446c16e2e66

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - Alho - 03-16-2021

No, this side flexband PCB does not include the small round bottons.

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - rorus - 03-30-2021

Thanks guys.

I'm in Australia, not the UK, but definitely interested if anyone has a source for a replacement!

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - KNERD - 04-05-2021

(03-30-2021, 12:06 AM)rorus Wrote: Thanks guys.

I'm in Australia, not the UK, but definitely interested if anyone has a source for a replacement!

The actual power and volume buttons are actually a part of the LCD screen. When you order a new screen, they send you a tiny decal with contacts on it to short the membranes on those tiny contacts when you depress the plastic outside part. $35USD

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - KNERD - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 01:44 AM)ncc Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 04:21 PM)KNERD Wrote:

The actual power and volume buttons are actually a part of the LCD screen.  When you order a new screen, they send you a tiny decal with contacts on it to short the membranes on those tiny contacts when you depress the plastic outside part.  $35USD

the part you are talking about is the "PINEPHONE SIDE KEYS FLEX PCB" and costs only 1 USD

I did not realize that was in the Pine Store (plus $15 shipping )

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - rorus - 05-02-2021

(04-06-2021, 09:58 AM)KNERD Wrote:

The actual power and volume buttons are actually a part of the LCD screen.  When you order a new screen, they send you a tiny decal with contacts on it to short the membranes on those tiny contacts when you depress the plastic outside part.  $35USD

the part you are talking about is the "PINEPHONE SIDE KEYS FLEX PCB" and costs only 1 USD

I ordered it (30/03) after reading the discussion, will let you guys know how the replacement goes when it arrives. Thanks everyone for your advice!

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - kbm - 03-27-2023

(05-02-2021, 07:30 AM)rorus Wrote:

I ordered it (30/03) after reading the discussion, will let you guys know how the replacement goes when it arrives. Thanks everyone for your advice!

Were you able to replace this? Having a very similar issue with my power button

RE: Pinephone - broken power button - tllim - 04-05-2023

(03-27-2023, 05:04 PM)kbm Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 07:30 AM)rorus Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 04:21 PM)KNERD Wrote: The actual power and volume buttons are actually a part of the LCD screen.  When you order a new screen, they send you a tiny decal with contacts on it to short the membranes on those tiny contacts when you depress the plastic outside part.  $35USD

Were you able to replace this? Having a very similar issue with my power button

https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-side-keys-flex-pcb/