PINE64
getting elementary OS - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Pinebook Pro Tutorials (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: getting elementary OS (/showthread.php?tid=10844)

Pages: 1 2

getting elementary OS - clover - 07-25-2020

A few days ago, the founder of elementary posted a tweet showcasing elementary OS running on his pinebook pro.

I was interested so I commented asking where I could get the image.

I was pointed to a build script which is linked here if you want to build it yourself. 

I went ahead and ran the build script and have the compiled image here.

you can flash the image with dd, if you don't know how here is a quick tutorial, just use the elementary OS image. you should also be able to use etcher. be careful with dd, make sure you are writing to the correct device and not just blindly copy/pasting.

The only issue I had was that image is that it creates a small partition. I got around this by manually extending the unmounted partition after dding it using the gparted gui. 

Here is a tweet of me showcasing my new image booted from nvme. (you need a good uboot on SPI or emmc for this to work. mine is on SPI)

I hope this helps you if you like elementary OS as much as I do!

RE: getting elementary OS - hcal - 07-30-2020

I just thought I would drop by and say thanks for putting this together. I tried it and it worked pretty well. I am a little bit of a diehard fedora fan, but I’ve always wanted to try elementary OS. This is surprising fast. I’ll probably go back home to fedora, but I appreciate the detour.

RE: getting elementary OS - clover - 08-02-2020

(07-30-2020, 05:27 PM)hcal Wrote: I just thought I would drop by and say thanks for putting this together. I tried it and it worked pretty well. I am a little bit of a diehard fedora fan, but I’ve always wanted to try elementary OS.  This is surprising fast.  I’ll probably go back home to fedora, but I appreciate the detour.

Happy to help! Latest build with kernel fixes and performance improvements is posted here: https://pureos.ironrobin.net/droppy/#/Misc/PineBookPro/elementaryOS

RE: getting elementary OS - wdt - 08-02-2020

How well does sleep/suspend work?

RE: getting elementary OS - pawlinski - 08-07-2020

Thanks for the image. ElementoryOS works great on PinebookPro. I have been testing for several days.

RE: getting elementary OS - wdt - 08-08-2020

Answering my question above re: sleep
change /etc/systemd/sleep.conf ,, SuspendState=mem
Then it is same as manjaro, or perhaps better, 5%/d
pwr button is toggle
Too bad the wm is so feeble, looks good tho
I really like 4 desktops, I don't think elementory is capable of that??

RE: getting elementary OS - clover - 08-09-2020

(08-08-2020, 01:52 PM)wdt Wrote: Answering my question above re: sleep
change /etc/systemd/sleep.conf ,, SuspendState=mem
Then it is same as manjaro, or perhaps better, 5%/d
pwr button is toggle
Too bad the wm is so feeble, looks good tho
I really like 4 desktops, I don't think elementory is capable of that??

I've noticed after having the computer in suspend for a while, sometimes the screen will flash for a seemingly random amount of time, on and off, on and off, and so on.

have you had any issue with this and did you find a workaround?

RE: getting elementary OS - wdt - 08-09-2020

>have you had any issue with this
I never saw any flashing, it just worked
I suppose you could check dmesg?

RE: getting elementary OS - clover - 08-10-2020

(08-09-2020, 02:48 PM)wdt Wrote: >have you had any issue with this
I never saw any flashing, it just worked
I suppose you could check dmesg?
i wonder if it has any reason to do with my root being on nvme. indeed only s2idle seems to work for me. deep suspend doesnt work but its a known issue on nvme.

RE: getting elementary OS - Upokupo - 08-11-2020

Throwing my hat in the ring with testing Elementary OS. I found that opening, closing and resizing window animations are a bit choppy. Same for scrolling in web browsers. It's not a deal breaker just an observation. I need to research more into eOS and see what I can accomplish to mitigate this (compositor?). Also, Night Light doesn't appear to be working properly atm.

So, will eOS be supported on Pinebook Pro or was this just a proof of concept by the founder?

I really would like to make this my daily driver. I'm going to spend about a week running off sd to give myself some time with the os and seeing if this is a better fit for my needs. This really may be what I'm looking for.

Thanks @clover for the images. For something that isn't even beta, it sure is impressive and overall appears to be running very well. I'll do what I can to help further interest and development.